More power tuning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
General Update, as expected, but not offically confirmed. We took another local 2017 Rap back to the dyno to make pulls with the MPT93PRX. Same dyno and 5th gears pulls as they did with baseline, and with 5star 93Perf.

Picked up ~25rwhp/~35rwtq over 5star, and 50rwhp/85rwtq over stock. Again these pulls were made in 5th to best compare to previous pulls.

This truck has reported several rev limiter hits on the street in WOT. Know others have reported "wot backfires", which are likely what they might be experiencing too.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Graphs my man?

General Update, as expected, but not offically confirmed. We took another local 2017 Rap back to the dyno to make pulls with the MPT93PRX. Same dyno and 5th gears pulls as they did with baseline, and with 5star 93Perf.

Picked up ~25rwhp/~35rwtq over 5star, and 50rwhp/85rwtq over stock. Again these pulls were made in 5th to best compare to previous pulls.

This truck has reported several rev limiter hits on the street in WOT. Know others have reported "wot backfires", which are likely what they might be experiencing too.

kpg81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That just makes me that much happier I went whipple

Glad I went Whipple too. I bought their MPT nGauge and Tune and they kept telling me the 2018 tunes would be out in 2 weeks... then in 2 weeks they'd tell me 2 weeks again.. and so on and on and on. They finally agreed to accept a return and they gave me my money back. Funny thing is this is a couple months ago and I see they STILL do not have 18 tunes ready. What a bunch of liars

Jmorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take it from someone who jumped on he MPT bandwagen. I wasn’t impressed. I have the luxury of comparing stock to tuned on a daily basis as my wife and buddy have stock raptors. Whipple is the way to go as they offer intercooler with their setup. These trucks aren’t good for more than around 400whp (on stock intercooler) without heatsoaking and falling on their face. I will be going custom tuned with full race intercooler next go around.

Glad I went Whipple too. I bought their MPT nGauge and Tune and they kept telling me the 2018 tunes would be out in 2 weeks... then in 2 weeks they'd tell me 2 weeks again.. and so on and on and on. They finally agreed to accept a return and they gave me my money back. Funny thing is this is a couple months ago and I see they STILL do not have 18 tunes ready. What a bunch of liars

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Liars?

No. They have an ETA that they attempt to establish based on support that is provided by Ngauge. Don’t you think they’d rather keep your money and provide the tune?

If they weren’t reputable and honest they would have disappeared and not returned your purchase.

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Was the same case when we all just got the first batch of 17s, and it was different tuners making the claim. So i wouldn't be so quick to point and complain.

Graphs my man?

Negative. Was there, my posted #'s were +/- a few hp for rounding purposes, but no reason for me to make #s up, just sharing what i've seen in the real world.

kpg81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Liars?

No. They have an ETA that they attempt to establish based on support that is provided by Ngauge. Don’t you think they’d rather keep your money and provide the tune?

If they weren’t reputable and honest they would have disappeared and not returned your purchase.

I am just going off the fact they had told me it will be out in 2 weeks.. that was seriously 3 months ago. Just calling it as it is based on my personal experience.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah we know.

You posted the same thing on YouTube about how your truck heatsoaked and you lost to a stock raptor on the 3rd run.

Unfortunate for you that you were unable to take full advantage of their tune.

I’ve never had the problems you are describing. In fact, my IAT never gets above 135 and it’s usually in the 1-teens to 120s. I was one of their first few tunes as well.

If I were you, I’d be concerned as to what was wrong with my truck that it got so hot with a tune that thousands of other people are running without issue. It’s probably best you got rid of it for an 18.

That being said.... an intercooler is never a bad idea.

Take it from someone who jumped on he MPT bandwagen. I wasn’t impressed. I have the luxury of comparing stock to tuned on a daily basis as my wife and buddy have stock raptors. Whipple is the way to go as they offer intercooler with their setup. These trucks aren’t good for more than around 400whp (on stock intercooler) without heatsoaking and falling on their face. I will be going custom tuned with full race intercooler next go around.

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

I don’t disbelieve you.

I just love to see the data.

Was the same case when we all just got the first batch of 17s, and it was different tuners making the claim. So i wouldn't be so quick to point and complain.

Negative. Was there, my posted #'s were +/- a few hp for rounding purposes, but no reason for me to make #s up, just sharing what i've seen in the real world.

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

Furthermore...

You’re spouting your mouth about what they can or can’t handle without an intercooler. What is your expertise in this regard.

You have nothing to back up that claim, but I know plenty of MPT tunes trucks who are making more than that on a stock intercooler without issues, including my own. I’d be happy to share the data logs when the summer rolls around again.

I’d be very careful about making generalizations, and also about buying into what others are selling.

QUOTE=Jmorris;1223514]Take it from someone who jumped on he MPT bandwagen. I wasn’t impressed. I have the luxury of comparing stock to tuned on a daily basis as my wife and buddy have stock raptors. Whipple is the way to go as they offer intercooler with their setup. These trucks aren’t good for more than around 400whp (on stock intercooler) without heatsoaking and falling on their face. I will be going custom tuned with full race intercooler next go around.[/QUOTE]

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the dyno, we've seen some pretty big drops in power on just the 2nd pull. A solid 15-20whp, after 5-10min cooldown. These dyno cases are likely more exaggerated than on road, even with with 2 large fans pushing air. While I get discourgaed at power # decrease, I never felt a noticeable power decrease while beating the hell outta the truck for hours offroad in 90*+ temps. Prob safer we have less, as you can get into trouble fast even with stock #s.

Anywho, looking at tuned logs while on dyno, IATs & Coolant during these pulls ~40mph (3000rpm) to 100mph (6400rpm):

Pull 1 - IAT 106* dropping to 99* - Coolant Temp 194 Dropping to 192
Pull 2 - IAT 115* dropping to 106* - Coolant Temp 201 Dropping to 199

Have a Full Race IC coming soon, so curious to see the effects of lower IATs and more so those numbers on the 2nd pull. Also curious to see its affect on coolant #s too

Smokeshow60

SgtMajor of the MemeCorps
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the dyno, we've seen some pretty big drops in power on just the 2nd pull. A solid 15-20whp, after 5-10min cooldown. These dyno cases are likely more exaggerated than on road, even with with 2 large fans pushing air. While I get discourgaed at power # decrease, I never felt a noticeable power decrease while beating the hell outta the truck for hours offroad in 90*+ temps. Prob safer we have less, as you can get into trouble fast even with stock #s.

Anywho, looking at tuned logs while on dyno, IATs & Coolant during these pulls ~40mph (3000rpm) to 100mph (6400rpm):

Pull 1 - IAT 106* dropping to 99* - Coolant Temp 194 Dropping to 192
Pull 2 - IAT 115* dropping to 106* - Coolant Temp 201 Dropping to 199

Have a Full Race IC coming soon, so curious to see the effects of lower IATs and more so those numbers on the 2nd pull. Also curious to see its affect on coolant #s too

Adaptive strategy definitely pulls power with heat. However I'm not very convinced that lower iat would have much effect on coolant temps. I do believe the cooling system overall to be pretty stout and believe the addition of a 170-180 degree thermostat may be in order here.