Modifying transmission dip stick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
"Okay, first before removing the dipstick, you want to start your vehicle and leave it in park, then go ahead and remove the dipstick. If not, the fluid will leak out if it's not running."

Thank you @ghost rider !

Rather than mount the top end of the B&M dipstick on the firewall so that the whole assembly has to flex with engine torque (completely unlike every other transmission dipstick I've ever seen), I fashioned a simple bracket and mounted it to the existing studs on the valve cover.

Attachments

• Bracket4.jpg
    Bracket4.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Conclusion: If you crack the factory dipstick open when cold you could possibly loose 2-3 qts. prove me wrong.
In April I removed the oem dipstick cap and spilled maybe a pint before I could stuff in the Mytivac hose, pump out the rest, and drop the pan.. The truck hadn't been started in a couple months. Last week I removed the plastic tub on the floor, slid my creeper below, and checked out the valve body. It was still dripping a little bit when I replaced the pan.

Attachments

• image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 15

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm going to try this method: just secure the new, poorly designed flexible B&M trans filler tube to the rigid engine oil tube. That way, the tube moves with the motor and is not secured to the cab, and the top of the tube isn't scrunched under the cowl.

Attachments

• 20221025_073051.jpg
    20221025_073051.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 14

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You know what I can't figure out? Why the instructions for the B&M trans filler tube advises to remove it from the transmission and use a rubber hose when refilling the transmission after draining/servicing. (scratches head)

gusser

Reaction score
You know what I can't figure out? Why the instructions for the B&M trans filler tube advises to remove it from the transmission and use a rubber hose when refilling the transmission after draining/servicing. (scratches head)
Good point Ruger... Why wouldn't the trans filler tube be a good place to add fluid?? It's supposedly sealed and exisiting fluid shouldn't leak out. Hmmm. I was elated to find this thread but now I'm having second thoughts about paying the somewhat high price for what could be a flawed add on. :shakehead:

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm going to put together a "sandwich" of sheetmetal and kevlar layers next to the cat while the motor is running and the truck is on stands so I can safely and repeatedly check to get the fluid level correct. Once it's where it needs to be I'll put on test miles, get a front alignment, break in the new pads, get the AC charged, and as soon as I know it's all good I'll put the pig back on the stands and (with the engine running), I'll install the B&M filler tube.

BalanBro

Reaction score
Good point Ruger... Why wouldn't the trans filler tube be a good place to add fluid?? It's supposedly sealed and exisiting fluid shouldn't leak out. Hmmm. I was elated to find this thread but now I'm having second thoughts about paying the somewhat high price for what could be a flawed add on. :shakehead:
From what I understand, the 6R80 is sort of "sealed", in that it doesn't really vent to atmosphere. When you fill through the OEM plug with a hose or filler tool, air can flow out freely as you add fluid. My guess is that if you try to fill directly through a narrow-ish dipstick tube, the fluid will fill the tube and prevent air from getting out, so the air may have to bubble out and fill extremely slowly. If the transmission had a vent somewhere to relieve this pressure, then I'd agree that it shouldn't be an issue.

I'm just speculating here, but this is based on the Ford Tech guy on YouTube who claimed that the 6R80 trans holds vacuum.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@gusser, @BalanBro and @TomDirt

I just called the technical support line at Holly Performance (866-464-6553) (Holly owns B&M I think) and talked to Dustin. He pulled up the instructions and could not find the notation that I recall from when I bought and installed the "B&M Locking Automatic Dipstick & Tube," part number 22200, that says not to use it to add fluid to the transmission. He offered that if that was true it would largely defeat the purpose of the product. Here's the interesting part - the instructions for that product were last revised just last year - February 21, 2022, and since he couldn't locate that warning not to use the product to add fluid, we concluded that it has been rescinded. Happy news - that's why I bought the thing!

BUT he missed the instruction on page six that reads, "Add transmission through the dipstick adaptor using a 3/8" O.D. rubber hose, and a pump or funnel." That's what I remembered, and the newly revised instructions still have that. See the link below. You can pull up the instructions under Technical Resources at the link below.

So me being me, I called them back. I got Lance on the phone and he was as mystified by that instruction as Dustin was! So here's where I commend Holly Performance for superb customer support. Dustin is going to dig into this with the B&M engineers and get back to me with the reason/logic/caution behind that instruction. Stay tuned. He said it would take a couple days to get an answer. I'll post it here.

Last edited:

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
And here is Lance's response:

"I talked to a couple of my lead people. Although we recommend following the instructions, It is in there for better control of the flow and cleanliness. Because there is always that one guy you have to tell not to eat the Tidepods. Good luck."

So, I think I'm going to try it - probably in the spring. It's worth the experiment for safety reasons alone. I burned the skin off my knuckles the first time I serviced the transmission (third degree burns), and burned them again (second degree burns even though I wore gloves) when I installed the B&M dipstick.