Modification Strategy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jonny V

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

After years of collecting guns, I figure that 40-odd is enough and I'm starting in on "adventure spending" now, and that means "Raptor spending" in large part. Some would call this a "mid life crisis". I prefer to think of it as a "mid life opportunity" LOL....

So since I've been on here, I've learned that my shocks need service soon. My '12 Screw has 71K miles on it, and the shocks have never been touched. These miles are almost all on-road. There are no scrapes, gouges, what have you, underneath the truck. Outside of the regular road crud, it's in great condition. I've off-roaded it (or had it in 4x4) for only a few times a year, mostly for snow, and a 30 mile off road run from Trout Lake to Carson (Washington state).

This year, I'm taking the Raptor on a road trip to eastern Montana for a deer/bird hunt on a private ranch where our primary means of travel will be 4x4. Next year, I'm registering for the Baja Raptor Run. Amazing what freeing up your entire gun budget will do!

Right now, my working strategy is to modify the suspension first. I'm thinking to go with Forged Offroad and do the stock shock rebuild this year as soon as possible. For next year, I'm hoping I can afford their Level One off-road kit. Failing that, I'm likely to buy some of the part list and get it installed and then do the rest the following year. New brakes, wheels and tires, and the Body Armor chase rack are also on the list for this year.

I guess the question is, what are the holes in this plan? What things am I missing here that I need to be looking at? Can probably only afford to do things once.....

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like this will definitely be a fun "opportunity" for you lol.

there isn't really any holes in your plan, just need to map out how you'd like to execute your plan.

my 2 cents on the suspension is look at upgrading your shocks vs a rebuild. I went the route of rebuilding since it was 40% the cost of brand new 3.0s. now after 10 months of being on top perch (so I could fit 37s) i'm getting noticeable bump steer which is progressively getting worse. whether or not this is a direct result of top perch, idk im sure someone will correct me but now I'm looking at going to 3.0s to get a better set up that's better aimed at what I do with my truck. depending on how hard you'll be on your truck off road, i'd look at a rear bump stop kit and leafs (either deaver or Icon) to protect your frame and get rid of wheel hop. I live in Alberta Canada and we have nearly I identical landscape as Montana, so I know what kind of terrain you'd be driving through.

so for Montana, I'd look at shocks, leafs and a bump stop kit, maybe a winch if that's something you've thought about? I've gotten pretty close to stuck but luckily I'm always with friends. but I've been looking at an ADD race series R with built in winch location for those times I've wanted to get adventurous on my own. the case rack can be down the road, I use SDHQ 3 point tie down in the box for my 37" spare and extra D rings to strap totes and coolers down.

as I said just my 2 cents lol. keep us updated on what you decide! and pictures from the trip, Montana is a lot of fun.

OP
OP
Jonny V

Jonny V

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and good point on the D-rings. Need to locate some of those as there's near nothing to tie down to in the box as it is now...

I had thought about the Radflo shocks. Truth is, money for 3.0 shocks just ain't gonna happen this year. Plan so far is to do the shocks as best I can (sub-$2000), and not be too hard on the rig. Money will be easier next year so springs, stops, so forth would be easier to do then. I definitely want most or all of that stuff before I try a 2000 mile Mexico run.

Also fixing to join up to a northwest group (these guys http://www.nwoverlandrally.com/home.html ) to get some group schooling on stuff. I ain't ashamed to sit through classes on the basics. Looks like they have a good program and a lot of knowledgeable folks to do runs with around here.

EDIT...now I just saw the thread about the Fox 3.0 shock sale at NEO garage and how they have ones that will fit my truck and financing too....sweet ******* Jesus I'm in trouble LOL...

Last edited: