Misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tocostew

Reaction score
I have a 2011 and had an oil pump put on and the mechanic said I had a misfire on cylinder 4 so I bought an ignition coil and installed it, then it moved to cylinder 2 and then cylinder 1. I have replaced the plugs and wires, camshaft position sensor as well and those coils and still have a misfire. I have not checked the injectors. What should I check next?

OP
OP
T

Tocostew

Reaction score
And I started having issues with my oil pressure dropping so I replaced the oil pressure sensor that didn’t help then I had a guy clean the oil pressure pick up tube and it seem to work fine for about six months and then my old pressure would drop again and didn’t recover so I just took it in and had the oil pump replaced and since then haven’t had any issues but when I picked it up, the guy had told me I had a misfire on cylinder four.

OP
OP
T

Tocostew

Reaction score
Had a shop look at it and they couldn’t find out where it’s coming from. Checked plugs, changed coils around, checked compression, checked for broken valve spring. Nothing everything was good but still have the misfire on cylinder two. I changed the camshaft position sensor but it was from Autozone and when looking at the YouTube video for the location the guy said not to use one anywhere but the dealer. Anybody else have any ideas here. Thanks.

OP
OP
T

Tocostew

Reaction score
Also when changing the oil pump does the timing chain need to come off. And if so if not putting it back on the exact way would throw off the timing right? Would the truck even start if it was out of time. Just wondering if that might be the issue since the misfire didn’t happen until the oil pump was replaced.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Also when changing the oil pump does the timing chain need to come off. And if so if not putting it back on the exact way would throw off the timing right? Would the truck even start if it was out of time. Just wondering if that might be the issue since the misfire didn’t happen until the oil pump was replaced.
Yes, oil pump is behind the timing chains. If the timing is off by a tooth or two it can run, but it will run poorly.

OP
OP
T

Tocostew

Reaction score
One last thing. When changing the plugs a while ago I put in some cheaper Autolite plugs in. Could that be an issue as the heat range may not be the same as factory ones or NGK ones

OP
OP
T

Tocostew

Reaction score
Update I have installed the NGK 6509 plugs in and still have the same issue. I guess next is the camshaft position sensor from the dealer.