Make that 4.92 seconds.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

photoneffect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think 4A works like you guys think it does. If you watch the power distribution screen it gives power to the front wheels regardless of acceleration amount. It's not like it's 2H until it slips and then gives power to the front. Looks to be a near constant 1/3 to front and 2/3 to the rear. I don't know the mechanicals, but it's what that screen shows. Only difference I see between 4A and 4H is that 4H seems to have a slightly more even split.

dlbb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think 4A works like you guys think it does. If you watch the power distribution screen it gives power to the front wheels regardless of acceleration amount. It's not like it's 2H until it slips and then gives power to the front. Looks to be a near constant 1/3 to front and 2/3 to the rear. I don't know the mechanicals, but it's what that screen shows. Only difference I see between 4A and 4H is that 4H seems to have a slightly more even split.

lol this is my second truck with 4a. 4h locks the distribution at 50f/50r, 4a can very from 0f/100r to 50f/50r. under light to moderate acceleration in 4a it does power the front initially and will release it at cruise speed. that power to the front will range from 10-50%. the transfer case is a borg warner torque on demand system. it is not the same as say an evo torque vector system with yaw control, or an Audi awd system. it can not go past 50% to the front either. there are other awd drive systems out there but i have only owned the 4a in a ford and an 06 evo. i did research the audi for my wife. also researched the acura mdx. it is a similar system but in reverse. it powers the front primarily with the rear for traction.

edit. another fun info. it doesn't detect slip as a requirement. the abs/traction control works with it to brake a excessively spinning wheel. and yes you can spin all 4 wheels if the ground is really wet. well my 14 3.5eb lariat hd could anyways. lol

Last edited:

photoneffect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol this is my second truck with 4a. 4h locks the distribution at 50f/50r, 4a can very from 0f/100r to 50f/50r. under light to moderate acceleration in 4a it does power the front initially and will release it at cruise speed. that power to the front will range from 10-50%. the transfer case is a borg warner torque on demand system. it is not the same as say an evo torque vector system with yaw control, or an Audi awd system. it can not go past 50% to the front either. there are other awd drive systems out there but i have only owned the 4a in a ford and an 06 evo. i did research the audi for my wife. also researched the acura mdx. it is a similar system but in reverse. it powers the front primarily with the rear for traction.

edit. another fun info. it doesn't detect slip as a requirement. the abs/traction control works with it to brake a excessively spinning wheel. and yes you can spin all 4 wheels if the ground is really wet. well my 14 3.5eb lariat hd could anyways. lol

Then the power distribution screen is lying to me. There is no speed or acceleration amount that will ever show 10% being given to the front wheels. It is always, at every speed and every acceleration amount, roughly 1/3 front and 2/3 rear in 4a.

Edit: Noticed that when turning it is closer to 100% rear. But straight ahead I never see 10% front.

Last edited:

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
4h on dry is much smarter because if you start to slip on dry pavement and that has to try and lock in, the amount of torque being applied at that point and time is very hard on the clutches and gears. Just turn it to 4a or 2h right after you launch and get the best of both worlds.

When I ran my 2011 and 2014 Ecoboosts in 4hi at the track it was the best of one world. It shot out of the hole like a cannon but being in 4hi costs you a couple MPH a the top of the track. You can shift back to 2hi after the launch but 4hi won't disengage until you let off the throttle. I never let off the throttle until I crossed the finish line.

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
so much not good info being swapped around about 4h..... the anxiety, it kills.
that dodge was from not understanding how dragstrips work. he wasnt in 4wd.
you will cause premature wear and potential failure on your components using them on dry situations. lots of binding and super hard to turn, but unless you are actively trying to explode something it wont explode like that. that being said, dont use 4h on dry pavement.

nice getting under 5seconds on the 60time, do it in the dirt and show us a video. thats what we want.

Last edited:
Reaction score
When I ran my 2011 and 2014 Ecoboosts in 4hi at the track it was the best of one world. It shot out of the hole like a cannon but being in 4hi costs you a couple MPH a the top of the track. You can shift back to 2hi after the launch but 4hi won't disengage until you let off the throttle. I never let off the throttle until I crossed the finish line.
That is correct, but go onto a slick surface in 4a and punch it and you will hear it and feel it suddenly catch and finally lock in so say all you want about power distribution but what actually happens is much different then what everyone suggests is going to happen and if you are in 4a it will not unlock any different than 4h once it's locked in. We have rough winters around here and I drove my truck pretty much all winter on icy roads.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk