Low oil pressure warning and limp mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PCDESERTstyle

Reaction score
So I went through all the threads and never did find anything conclusive
2019 with slight mods
Banging through the desert on second day of a run and dummy oil pressure gauge drops to zero, low oil pressure pops up on display and goes to limp mode. Pull over, check oil and it's barely below top line. Restart truck and it's fine. Turn on real oil pressure gauge display and jump back onto course. This happens another ten times over the next few hours at all different throttle levels with the dummy gauge showing zero and the real gauge showing fine going into limp mode. It actually even fixed itself a couple times without turning off motor. Checked oil again at gas station after run and still showing pretty much full. Drove home through Death Valley and around town the last week and a half with no issues.

Truck has 23,000 miles of which I'd guess 3,000 hard off road.
This happened once early this year and a couple times in Baja in March. I took it to dealership in April and they said they could see the code but no reason for it and could not determine problem without duplicating it. I called and talked to them again and they said pretty much so the same thing. Bring it in and we'll try and diagnose it but if we can't replicate it we won't do anything. It has only happened once on pavement and the chance it will do it for them seems slim, like driving down there is a waist of time.
Truck does not leak oil or even burn it for that matter as I've never added more than half a quart near end of oil cycle.
The only thing I can think of is check the connection and wire for damage.
If the dummy gauge and real gauge read from the same sending unit, is it possible it could be in the gauge cluster?

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time to go to a dealer. That just doesn't happen just to happen. Better take it. Could be something that none of us could know.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So just to clarify, you’re referring to the dummy gauge as the bar graph readout in the top left of the IPC, and the real gauge as the oil pressure shown in the IPC message center measurements screen? Or do you have an aftermarket gauge installed that you’re referencing?

The oil pressure sending unit is wired directly to the PCM. The PCM reads the oil pressure and sends that information across the network to the IPC. The IPC then displays that data on the gauge and in the message center measurement display.

ocbcwc

Reaction score
Are you running a tuner of any kind?

I have had the same thing happen to mine about a half dozen times. I was running the COBB tuner and it only happened with their tunes. I took the tuner off, unmarried the truck, for a while and it didn't happen. I put a tune back on, and BAM it happened. So, while I dont have a ton of proof, it seems the tuner is causing a "glitch" or some sort....

I also have a 2019 with about 28k miles.

OP
OP
PCDESERTstyle

PCDESERTstyle

Reaction score
Yes, the bar gauge and the stock gauge you can bring up in gauges. if I don't find anything with connector or wire, I'll remove Whipple tune and see if that fixes it. Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
PCDESERTstyle

PCDESERTstyle

Reaction score
@FordTechOne
I am curious if this something you've seen before (or often) with tunes?
I've been looking all over the web and can't find anything. I had the stage 1 whipple kit installed by dealer with 4000 miles on the truck. Since it had no issues until 18,000 or so and has only happened once not off roading, I'm going to look at the wiring first. If I can find a way to wiggle the wires with truck running... not sure if I can do it without taking apart intake though.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When this happened to me... I literally was lacking oil. I put 1 quart in and then no more low oil pressure light or limp mode.

Coyote Raptor

Reaction score
I had something similar on my 2019. Dummy gauge would go to nothing, truck went into limp mode, and all the while the oil pressure measurements on the drive screen held within tolerances. It was completely reproduceable, if I put it in Sport, turned off advanced traction control, and floored it, it would happen every time. I sent it to the dealership, they threw some gauges on it, and said that everything was within tolerance and it was likely a sensor issue. They didn't take my advice on how to reproduce the failure, and said they were unable to reproduce the issue in the shop.

After doing trial and error, it ended up being that the last time I had the oil changed they did not fill it all the way back up. Dipstick showed oil as low, but not horribly low. I changed the oil, made sure they filled it properly, then the issue went away. Haven't had the issue since.