Loud Whining/whistling noise on startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BMWags

Reaction score
https://vimeo.com/150541554

2012 Raptor 6.2 with 61,000kms

This just started this winter. Never did it before and it is quieter at warmer temperatures. Gotta take it in, but did anyone else ever have this happen?

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One maybe two of your pulley and or idler bearings are shot on the serpentine system.
Or the clutch is shot on the AC pump.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BMWags

Reaction score
Good thing for warranty! I love this truck, but it's seen more shop time then anything else I've owned!
Aw well

FireLT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good thing for warranty! I love this truck, but it's seen more shop time then anything else I've owned!
Aw well
Yup.. I feel ya on that one... I thought I was just unlucky, I guess I'm not the only one who has dropped her off at the dealer too much... still love it though.

OP
OP
B

BMWags

Reaction score
My girlfriends father had his from new until 170,000kms and it still looked practically new by the time he sold it.
No problems that he told me. 2010 scab with 5.4l engine.

Maybe I'm more picky with things like, a warped dash, seat heater not working, trim falling off, wiper motor grinding, power steering line blowing out and now this noise.

OP
OP
B

BMWags

Reaction score
We have a winner... It's an alternator!
Good thing I opted for my extended warranty. It just paid for the diagnostic and the install. Would have been $800 out of my pocket :S

Mogo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine just started doing this same thing (not as loudly though) this winter. Only on cold start, and not as badly if I plug the block heater in overnight. It mostly goes away once warmed up.