GEN 2 Limp mode Pulling Trailer Over Mountains

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christian Johanneson

CrimsonRAPTOR
Reaction score
And today I was driving over a mountain pass pulling about 2k lbs in Washington state and on my way down the pass my 2019 SCREW made sort of a loud air pop sound and then the notification that pedestrian warning was disabled and the wrench came on the dash and the truck went into limp mode.

I drove it for about another 10 minutes and pulled into a rest area and turn the truck off. I opened the hood and looked under it and the air filter cover was a little misaligned because I put a Cobb air filter into it but I pushed it back in and snapped it close. It wasn’t that big of a thing but then when I got back in the truck and it started right up and everything was just fine. It’s probably important to also mention that I have a Cobb access port. I will say that driving up the pass I was getting four miles to the gallon and the turbo was at about 21 pounds - pushing hard.

Any idea what happened?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilgsx96

Reaction score
Were you using cruise control at the time? Mine did the same thing I had to detune it back to stock. I retuned it once I got to my destination and have not towed anything since then. I just think these trucks do not like hilly towing while on cruise control.

quikag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
21psi of sustained boost probably isn’t the smartest thing in the world. It can probably take it but I wouldn’t do it all the time. Stock max is 18psi IIRC.

What were your coolant and oil temps?

OP
OP
Christian Johanneson

Christian Johanneson

CrimsonRAPTOR
Reaction score
Were you using cruise control at the time? Mine did the same thing I had to detune it back to stock. I retuned it once I got to my destination and have not towed anything since then. I just think these trucks do not like hilly towing while on cruise control.
It was on cruise control, I just drove back yesterday without cruise control. Max boost was 21, but the truck handled it just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anytime you tow, you are generally best off running the stock tune, and then giving it some RPM by locking out gears, especially if you’re on a pull on a grade. It’s not wise to always depend on the turbos in top gear. You end up dumping more fuel, working the heat exchanger harder, heating your coolant up, heating the tranny up, etc. Let the motor do it’s part too.

lilgsx96

Reaction score
Anytime you tow, you are generally best off running the stock tune, and then giving it some RPM by locking out gears, especially if you’re on a pull on a grade. It’s not wise to always depend on the turbos in top gear. You end up dumping more fuel, working the heat exchanger harder, heating your coolant up, heating the tranny up, etc. Let the motor do it’s part too.

This is what I ended up doing after I tried towing with cruise control while tuned. Like I said my truck did the same thing (got up high on boost and then POP limp mode"