Lights for added visibility in fog

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
For the FRF Illuminati...

I’m looking to improve the visibility in really poor conditions. I get some periodic days of really intense fog. Not the Gulf coast, “pea soup” kind, but about 80-85% of that. We had a bout last week and but for the other drivers I did ok.

Current setup; outboard squadron pros in the bumper are SAE, middle are driving combo / amber covers, inboard are clear driving combo/on with the LP4’s.

tempImageJXQlzE.jpg
The middle/amber squadrons do a credible job in heavy rain and fog, I’ve not be able to test in super dusty conditions. I’m considering another pair of lights on the bumper bar to give me a little more distance in fog conditions. I’m talking best effort here, I’m not trying to blast down the roads at 90 in heavy fog, but give me some extra distance of visibility.

I was thinking of some s1 spots on the bumper bar, aimed just a touch higher than the amber squadrons. These are aimed really low already, so if I accidentally have them lit up when there’s oncoming traffic they aren’t getting blinded.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I feel your pain on fog!

XL80s in fog
20221212_051555.jpg

OBS in fog
20230109_061006.jpg

On the Raptor I will be installing a BD S8 30" combo in yellow with the SVC bumper swap. Think lights closer to the ground in a wide pattern will help. I will also be adding LP9 racers and LP9 pros with the currentXL80s. So hopefully that will be enough.

Maybe call BD and give them a chat?

OP
OP
smurfslayer

smurfslayer

Reaction score
2 grand! That’s a set of 6 KM3’s mounted and balanced. YIKES!

Think lights closer to the ground in a wide pattern will help
If the SAE were more powerful... That’s why I have the driving combo’s down low, the amber are aimed low. The worry I have is with too much “throw” I’ll get white/yellow out.
I will also be adding LP9 racers and LP9 pros with the currentXL80s.
Where, in the heck are you going to mount all those LP’s!

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Where, in the heck are you going to mount all those LP’s!

fordrs200_3_1511171474-1.jpg

Have you looked at switching out the LP4s for 6s? Pro in a driving combo.

The worry I have is with too much “throw” I’ll get white/yellow out.

Buy more yellow lens and make them all yellow in the pockets. Then you could leave the 4s in a clear spot with the XLs and lazers. That would keep your yellows down low with the white over the top.

You have enough light. Maybe not the right beam for what your needs are.

I'm not a light expert, but changing the lens and playing with the angles seem worth a shot.

OP
OP
smurfslayer

smurfslayer

Reaction score
You have enough light. Maybe not the right beam for what your needs are.

I'm not a light expert, but changing the lens and playing with the angles seem worth a shot.
hmm...

I could go to amber x4 instead of amber x2. Right now, I have the squadron whites coming on with the LP4’s, but if I re-tasked them to amber I could probably get what I want.

But then I wouldn’t get to buy new lights. :-/