Lightning with Raptor bits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The range yeah it’s gonna blow…. But we have no clue what TSW did in the rear end. Not saying it’s on parr with stock raptor, we just don’t the specs on the build yet

Yea, they glazed over the rear end. My understanding is there is very little room to work with back there. You can't actually lift a Lightning like you would a ICE F150 as the geometry of the shocks is all different. I believe they had to make room for the battery. Don't know what they did back there to get some travel, but I bet it's a lot more custom work than you'd think, and probably not as tested and reliable as you'd want.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
that would not surprise me at all. powerboost hybrid makes the most sense. full electric without a charging station in the woods or dessert is useless can plug into a tree. you'd have to carry a generator just incase.

I would guess this is the case as well, but I would guess it's not done so much for MPGs as it is performance gains. I would guess that they figure out a location for the battery without stealing from the gas tank. Maybe it's smaller and/or more efficient. They push the generator, powering your home or what have you. And I bet that we see it on the regular F150 first. Would it be surprising if all V6 TT F150s come with the powerboost battery in the next gen? Would that make it more cost effective? Would anyone who doesn't care about V8 be bothered by the powerboost?

OP
OP
RaptorMan703

RaptorMan703

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I owned a PowerBoost King Ranch in between Raptors and loved the extra power. Just depends on if Ford goes all in on the hybrids. It gets expensive to keep three engine options going (ICE, Hybrid, and all-electric)

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hard not to think that technology was a ways to go yet.
A gas/electric hybrid seems like an awesome idea to me.
Rocket off the line with instant torque then utilize the gas power when cruise is happening.
And recover rotational energy along with braking friction to recharge.
But not seeing too many designs that seem impressive and/or efficient enough.
Just seems like most manufacturers are tip toeing around something worthwhile.
AND even more seem like publicity stunts.

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting.

The weight is better balanced with these trucks, as well as a lower COG. IRS plus the unbelievable torque of the Lightning probably makes for a very fun off-road truck.

I like mine. It's a hell of a DD and very comfortable to drive. The 100% at 1rpm torque does well in a truck. That said, these trucks aren't ready for mainstream. Once again, couldn't drive it this weekend due to range. Going 80-85 kills your miles/kWh and the chargers aren't well thought out as far as spacing or sizing (at least in the South). They need to be over 400 miles and charge in 15-20 min to be worth it.

Kyle@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I’ve driven the white one in the video on that same track. They didn’t even show the big jump. The power delivery is insane. TQ is instantaneous. It is weird not hearing engine sounds and only hearing rocks kick up and body panels make noise on landings. The track is a little over a mile long and I did two laps. Used 7% of the battery in those laps. I have a video on my IG of it.
It was a blast, but I don’t think batteries are there yet for usage.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve driven the white one in the video on that same track. They didn’t even show the big jump. The power delivery is insane. TQ is instantaneous. It is weird not hearing engine sounds and only hearing rocks kick up and body panels make noise on landings. The track is a little over a mile long and I did two laps. Used 7% of the battery in those laps. I have a video on my IG of it.
It was a blast, but I don’t think batteries are there yet for usage.
Two plus miles, 7% used? If 80% of battery capacity is actually usable, that's 25 miles per charge. Wow. I think I would have more than a bit of range anxiety.

Finlay150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would it be surprising if all V6 TT F150s come with the powerboost battery in the next gen? Would that make it more cost effective? Would anyone who doesn't care about V8 be bothered by the powerboost?

For 2024, the 3.5L Ecoboost and 3.5L Powerboost are the same price. Basically making it so more consumers choose the hybrid.

Farley had teased a PHEV in the 24+ F-150 but it didn't happen. Would have been real interesting to see how that would sell, especially if it got a $3,750 tax credit.