Light wiring question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Joph

Joph

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. I am going to try the crimp butt connecters. I dont have a heatgun so crimping is my best best. Then ill wrap that in tape.

Thanks for the tips

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Ok. I am going to try the crimp butt connecters. I dont have a heatgun so crimping is my best best. Then ill wrap that in tape.

Thanks for the tips

I'd use heat shrink as tape can unravel overtime especially in a dirty and hot environment like under your engine.

01Moch1

Reaction score

Thanks for the tips

A lighter will work fine of you don't have a heat gun.

I work for the local transportation department and I was recently picking the brain of the mechanic who sets up the aftermarket lights, radios and other electronics on the new fleet vehicles. He suggested seem-less uninsulated butt connectors and then cover them with heat shrink that has for glue in it.

For the crimping portion, he recommended these Thomas and Betts as his favorite: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018LD2PU/?tag=fordraptorforum-20
There's cheaper alternatives out there though... You will get a far better crimp on the wire with this tooth style crimper but you risk breaking the insulation on cheaper insulated butt connectors.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
A lighter will work fine of you don't have a heat gun.

I work for the local transportation department and I was recently picking the brain of the mechanic who sets up the aftermarket lights, radios and other electronics on the new fleet vehicles. He suggested seem-less uninsulated butt connectors and then cover them with heat shrink that has for glue in it.

For the crimping portion, he recommended these Thomas and Betts as his favorite: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018LD2PU/?tag=fordraptorforum-20
There's cheaper alternatives out there though... You will get a far better crimp on the wire with this tooth style crimper but you risk breaking the insulation on cheaper insulated butt connectors.

I use similar if not the exact same crimpers at work and they work very well.

Just need a feel to not over crimp which is easier to do the smaller the terminal.

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've used a variety of crimped plugs and connections...some were the same used by BMW for their airbags (go ahead, say oooooooh) but in the end, after multiple failures, a soldering iron, solder, and heat shrink is the only thing that has held up.

IF you are trying to re-use crimped plugs it's no wonder they are failing. :biggrin: