LED Footwell lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Harblar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm working on getting my own ambient lighting going. I've currently got the cup holder lights wired into the offroad button harness, but the voltage is a tad erratic. If I dim the interior lights or turn the headlights/running lights on during the day it doesn't supply enough voltage to properly power the RGB led driver/controller I'm using.

So which wire would I tie into so the LEDs receive power whenever the panel/button lights do yet has a constant 12v of power? Maybe I just need to wire a relay into the setup. If so what relay would I need?

OP
OP
Kerr477

Kerr477

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't had any issue with it tied into the shift column lighting, even with dimming.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you could try the parking light wire. it doesnt dim with the dash lights, however it comes on the same time the dash lights come on. if you are planning on running it during the day also, might as well go to accessory or ignition.

Harblar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parking lights would be fine. Don't need them on all the time. Want it to look as factory as possible. Anywhere to splice into this circuit in the center console or am I going to have to fish a wire into the engine bay?

Harblar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the positive parking light wire is yellow/blue in the bcm in the passengers kick. its a grey 10pin plug. pin 6

Found the right wire. Was pin 6, though it looks yellow with a green stripe to me... Oh well. Thanks for the help. I could've spent a week trying to find that one! :rockit:

Also discovered that the led controller/driver I was using was defective. Switched to a different one I had and it works nearly perfect.... Only problem it has is lack of a memory, meaning that every time the power cycles, on/off/on, the lights reset to a slow blink state where it randomly switches colors every two seconds or so. That's not gonna work. Any controller recommendations that'll remember and default to the last used setting?

I'm just using the standard four wire RGB led strips you can get off from Amazon and only need to power 2-3 feet of lights.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My feet have no receptors for visible light and I know where my feet are at all times. Please, please tell me the practical use of footwell lighting.

daddycreswell

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My feet have no receptors for visible light and I know where my feet are at all times. Please, please tell me the practical use of footwell lighting.

When my kids are in the back and they drop something in the floor, or the wife drops something in the floor. IMO it's just to dark down there.