KO2's ok for overlanding...or what's better?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bracamonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Combed the threads for all the tire offroading/ovelanding related stuff, still just as confused. Wondering if I can stick with the stock KO2's, or is there something else I should use for a mountain overlanding trip...

Going to have around 800lbs in the rear, and looking to get the Deavers/Eibachs added. Would prefer an AT tire so I can keep them on for city/major metroplex driving. Not opposed to having this set of tires dedicated for off-roading and keeping my stock KO2's to throw back on after the trip. Hoping to hear from others who have actually used whatever tires they have for offroad/overland.

Any comments for:

Falken AT
Toyo...
KO3's
Nitto...(Ridge, Trail, or Recon grappler...?)

????

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure others will have better experience and recommendations, but I had a set of KM3's I loved for offroading, much more than my K02 as well as multiple Toyo tires. So I'd run KM3 for overland and K02 for everything else or Falken AT3W. Read great things about the Falken for daily/mixed driving.

JAndreF321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I overland with the stock KO2s without issue…depends on the terrain though I suppose. I’d rather put my money toward 37s when I actually need to swap tires in the future

Raptor 2014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KO2s are fine accept for mud / sludge. Current price for 37" KO2s is around $500.00 frigin crazy. I would purchase something else at that current cost but Mine have served me well and are quiet. Most of my driving is on the street
with only a few thousand miles on un-improved roads.

Txrigg

Reaction score
I've gone on 3 baja runs with the KM3 and they did well but started to chunk on the 3rd trip. The KM3 are light but run a bit smaller than other tires....also hard to balance. Many of the guys on the baja runs have the general tires and they seemed to do well. I decided to try the General Grabber X3 and like them so far but with minimal offroad use. I just setup my truck for car camping (overlanding) and will try them out soon. I'll have about 800lbs in the bed and 4 people so I upgraded from Deaver +3 to +3 HD. The spring change is definitely helping with the weight.

TheCzar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m currently overlanding on my stock KO2s with my RTT and a truck full of gear on the stock suspension as well. Been handling everything really well plus all the highway miles to get out west.

Peterb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've gone on 3 baja runs with the KM3 and they did well but started to chunk on the 3rd trip. The KM3 are light but run a bit smaller than other tires....also hard to balance. Many of the guys on the baja runs have the general tires and they seemed to do well. I decided to try the General Grabber X3 and like them so far but with minimal offroad use. I just setup my truck for car camping (overlanding) and will try them out soon. I'll have about 800lbs in the bed and 4 people so I upgraded from Deaver +3 to +3 HD. The spring change is definitely helping with the weight.
grabber x3 ftw

wweaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Toyo RT in 315/70/17 C rated 6 ply, the 35 12.50/17 are E rated 10 ply and much heavier they work but not needed on a 1/2 ton truck. Quiet for the off road traction they have, better than a KO2.