Ko2 c rating for towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
This may be a ridiculous question for some, but can anyone explain how the stock bf ko2 c-rating 113 tires are adequate to tow the 8000 lbs the 2012 Rator is capable of towing?

C rating load index of 113 = 2535 per tire x 4 = 10,140 lbs max load at max psi.
2012 Raptor =6000 lbs + 8000 lbs trailer weight = 14,000 lbs
Am I missing something?

I am currently in the market for new tires and assuming they are not adequate, upgrading to a E load index is an option but does anyone have any experience with ko2 E vs C. I'm curios about handling, noise and mpg difference.

Also, im on road driver for 90% of the time. Although I pull a 33 foot 7000 lbs travel trailer multiple times a year. With C rating ko2's I might add. However I was unaware of the c load index when I bought the truck used. BTW, so far ko2's have been great.

Also, I was looking at Mickey Thompson Baja legend exp. D load of 121 =3197 per tire. Does anyone have any insights on running them on a Raptor or should I stick with the Ko2's?

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Gen 1s originally came with Class D, then BFG discontinued that and only produced Class E for the Gen 1s.
The Class C was only for Gen 2s
But people are strange and just buy what's cheaper.
(some people will argue that it's less weight) Well yeah, it's less of a tire!!!!
The E Class BFG KO2 is a better tire, stronger and better rubber compound.

Winchester30

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This may be a ridiculous question for some, but can anyone explain how the stock bf ko2 c-rating 113 tires are adequate to tow the 8000 lbs the 2012 Rator is capable of towing?

C rating load index of 113 = 2535 per tire x 4 = 10,140 lbs max load at max psi.
2012 Raptor =6000 lbs + 8000 lbs trailer weight = 14,000 lbs
Am I missing something?

I am currently in the market for new tires and assuming they are not adequate, upgrading to a E load index is an option but does anyone have any experience with ko2 E vs C. I'm curios about handling, noise and mpg difference.

Also, im on road driver for 90% of the time. Although I pull a 33 foot 7000 lbs travel trailer multiple times a year. With C rating ko2's I might add. However I was unaware of the c load index when I bought the truck used. BTW, so far ko2's have been great.

Also, I was looking at Mickey Thompson Baja legend exp. D load of 121 =3197 per tire. Does anyone have any insights on running them on a Raptor or should I stick with the Ko2's?
The tire load refers to vehicle weight plus payload. So if your trailer is on the hitch and not on the roof or the in the bed of your truck, refer to your owner’s manual for max towing weight.
I have a Gen2 and tow 5-7000# trailer (WD hitch) with C KO2s no problem.
My trips range from 300-1000 miles.
For occasional towing the Cs are just fine.
I prefer the Cs for off road and general handling when not towing.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you Wheelman55, very informative video.

Towing capabilities of the truck compared to the rear axle and the tire load can be rather confusing. But if I understand it right, (per the video) the Gen1 raptor rear axle or GAWR is 3700. My Raptor is 6000 lbs so roughly 3000 of the weight is on the rear axle. I use a 700 lbs weight distribution hitch which puts me right at the 3700 GAWR. Class C ko2's are 2535 x 2 on rear axle = 5070. So am I right in assuming that the C load rating of the bfg ko2's are in fact adequate to tow the 8000lbs the Gen1 Raptor is capable of towing?

Sorry for the amateur questions, I am new to towing, this is my first truck and the first set of new tires I am purchasing for it.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thank you Wheelman55, very informative video.

Towing capabilities of the truck compared to the rear axle and the tire load can be rather confusing. But if I understand it right, (per the video) the Gen1 raptor rear axle or GAWR is 3700. My Raptor is 6000 lbs so roughly 3000 of the weight is on the rear axle. I use a 700 lbs weight distribution hitch which puts me right at the 3700 GAWR. Class C ko2's are 2535 x 2 on rear axle = 5070. So am I right in assuming that the C load rating of the bfg ko2's are in fact adequate to tow the 8000lbs the Gen1 Raptor is capable of towing?

Sorry for the amateur questions, I am new to towing, this is my first truck and the first set of new tires I am purchasing for it.
Just keep in mind Class C wear much faster than Class E

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SS. You are getting closer.

You need to add the weight of passengers, pets, cooler, tools, fuel, etc. to the 6,000 pound weight of the truck. Then add tongue weight.

The payload rating gets eaten up pretty quickly.

To find out axle weight you could load your truck and use the scales at a truck stop. That will give you a loaded weight per axle.

When at the scales make sure to look “up” for the buttons. They are set up at the height of a semi tractor window.

Last edited:

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I deal with this on a daily basis. Load rating has very little to do with tow rating.

I get people with 1/2 ton trucks who insist on E load tires all the time.

Let's sit back and look at things logically for a second.

Load rating is what the tire can carry. And tow rating is what then truck can tow. When you tow only the tounge weight is on the tires of the tow vehicle.

If you are towing 8000lbs and have a tongue weight of 800lbs the rear tires are only carrying 800lbs of the 8000. The trailer tires are taking on the rest.

A properly equipped 2022 f150 is certified to tow 14,000lbs (2wd, regular cab 3.5 eco.......) and still does not come from the factory with E load tires.

It is against Federal law to make a vehicle with tires that are under rated for the vehicles capabilites. For example my wife's car has a top speed of approximately 170mph, BUT it is speed limited from the factory to 150, this was because the manufacturer did not believe the average person would appreciate the extra speed but would appreciate the cost savings of a cheaper tire and as such equipped a speed limiter and installed OEM tires with a 150 mph rating.

Also against the law to install a tire of lesser capacity than the vehicle/oem. You own a Corvette Z06, you get Z rated tires. I do not care if you are 85 and only go for coffee on sunny days with it.

Obviously I can install tires that are over rated, I can put Z rated on a prius if the owner wants.

E load is okay on F150 but it is over rated. Standard F150 comes with SL or XL tires so C rating of the Raptor is actually higher than F150 rated for 14,000lbs towing.

Last edited: