KBB Cash offer experience for my gen 1, anything I can do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tooldrmr2009

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I took a cross country trip in my gen 1 late may/early june to west coast from Indiana. Arrived back the 2nd week of June and filled out a KBB cash offer for my gen1 online. I made an appointment with a local used car dealership here who agreed to purchase my gen 1 for the offer. After arriving for the appointment and them looking over the vehicle they docked it down 1,000$. I fought hard with the aftermarket baja lights, suspension leveling kit ect and they agreed to go back to the original offer 1000$ higher. I informed them I had the beadlock rings(wheel beauty rings) at a local wheel repair place getting repaired from some rock chips from the cross country trip. I informed them that the rings were at this vendor getting repaired and the owner should be calling me when their done so I can pick them up. The sales manager asked me what local repair shop had them, and I informed him the name and owners name. The sales manager informed me verbatim "oh we deal with that guy all the time ourselves, heres my card have him call me when their done and we'll take care of it all, theres nothing more you need to do". So i signed the contract showing my payoff, and what my check will be for amount and I left. The next week the vendor called me and I told him you need to call the sales manager ect so he did. 30 minutes later I got a call from the sales manager that he was under the assumption they were already prepaid for and he just needed to pick them up? No where did we discuss who paid, if they were paid, or anything......I told him I was not paying as I was not instructed to. The next week he emailed me saying they would split the difference and cover half? I told him no as once again no one ever asked specifically about it and I was under the understanding "theres nothing else I need to do". Plus I checked with my bank and the truck was already financed through them to a new owner, so not my truck anymore. I went in the following week and claimed my check but it was for *** amount lower to cover half the cost? but they never told me they were deducting it from my check. My contract never mentions the beadlock rings or deductions ect just the original amount which I never got? Im assuming im screwed out of *** amount? Any recommendations?

LPZML

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya thats some bull I did the same with the cash offer and i got my check no problems once you sign that papers thats what you get.

OP
OP
T

tooldrmr2009

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya thats some bull I did the same with the cash offer and i got my check no problems once you sign that papers thats what you get.
not my case they deducted the other when indeed they should have rewrote the contract. idk if itll do any good contacting kelly blue book directly about it or what? im kinda stumped where to go from here.

Syberspace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you have a sales order or any paperwork for the deal? If so, then you can get your money, if not, may be a little more difficult.

OP
OP
T

tooldrmr2009

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you have a sales order or any paperwork for the deal? If so, then you can get your money, if not, may be a little more difficult.
got the signed contract stating what I was entitled to! They took this amount on the contract and deducted the *** amount from it which did not honor their original agreed signed number, and never rewrote a contract?

OP
OP
T

tooldrmr2009

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crazy you left your truck with the dealer without a check in hand. Nevertheless, how much money are we talking here? And, is it really worth your time?
how much i guess technically no, but its the principal they didn't inform me, or rewrite the contract that is what is totally unfair here so yes and no. I had to leave without the check as It still had a loan but i made over 12k$ on it over what i owed! they had to wait till they got the title before I got my check, although the funny thing is they were able to sell it before they got the title, seems screwy to me.

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I mean come on you knew straight up that they would have assumed the rings were paid for. I’ll be the as s here and say it sounds a lot like you knew exactly what was going to happen. You can’t say the parts that belongs on the truck, that is part of the deal, they have to go pay for because you wanted them repaired. Honestly I’d just be quite and run, you got lucky they bargained for splitting the cost.

OP
OP
T

tooldrmr2009

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mean come on you knew straight up that they would have assumed the rings were paid for. I’ll be the as s here and say it sounds a lot like you knew exactly what was going to happen. You can’t say the parts that belongs on the truck, that is part of the deal, they have to go pay for because you wanted them repaired. Honestly I’d just be quite and run, you got lucky they bargained for splitting the cost.
Actually according to them they assumed they were prepaid? I'm just stating being at a dealership life, no customer walks through the door and says I need a transmission replaced here's 4000$ call me when it's done. You don't prepay jobs, u pay at the time of work completed and I was entitled to the amount on the contract, I don't care he said she said what, the contract is a legal document both signed by both parties.

CoolrainRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with this.... dealerships can be "fuzzy" in their dealings however the story as outlined suggests the repair was paid for. I think a majority of people dealing with this would have proceeded as if it was paid for or you were going to. If he would have said "great when you pick them up bring them down" then you would have paid 100% for them. Them paying half is more than generous. Getting "tricky" with them is the same BS people complain about from dealers...... each to his own conscience I guess