KBB Cash offer experience for my gen 1, anything I can do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DocMarshall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I read the first part of your post, I took what the dealer said to mean that they'll pick them up from the refinisher and you won't have to worry about going and getting them/bringing them to the dealership. I didn't think they were offering to pay for the refinishing. Of course what you type on a forum vs how it was told to you in person can be hard to relay.

bigdave18629

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It kills me to side with a dealer, but I think Doc said it well. If they didn't ask what the repair cost was going to be, I would assume that all they were doing is trying to save you the hassle of dropping picking up the rings and dropping them off. I don't see a dealer knowingly exposing themselves to an unknown cost.

Legally you might have a leg to stand on per the contract, but I don't think it would hold up in front of a judge, particularly when they paid half the difference as a compromise for the confusion.

I don't see an intent here, just a breakdown in communication ....."what we have here is a failure to communicate" to steal a line from the past

Mike McCrate

Reaction score
I agree with this.... dealerships can be "fuzzy" in their dealings however the story as outlined suggests the repair was paid for. I think a majority of people dealing with this would have proceeded as if it was paid for or you were going to. If he would have said "great when you pick them up bring them down" then you would have paid 100% for them. Them paying half is more than generous. Getting "tricky" with them is the same BS people complain about from dealers...... each to his own conscience I guess
Agree

OP
OP
T

tooldrmr2009

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can see how you guys are interpreting this which the more I look upon it and go back to the day in my head I can see where they may feel that, I just feel they should have clearly stated who what ect. It would be no different then your child asking you to do something and you tell them "maybe later"....any child is gonna take that as ill ask later and see, not that it means NO. I think they should have approached it better and clearly wrote out a contract, instead of just deducting the money without actually telling me they were going to do that regardless...the contract shows what i was supposed to get, i mean give me the option to pay half on my own, maybe i was using the exact amount of the check for something else, the contract should have been rewrote to reflect this change regardless thats what I'm more upset about to. Thanks for all your insight.

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can see how you guys are interpreting this which the more I look upon it and go back to the day in my head I can see where they may feel that, I just feel they should have clearly stated who what ect. It would be no different then your child asking you to do something and you tell them "maybe later"....any child is gonna take that as ill ask later and see, not that it means NO. I think they should have approached it better and clearly wrote out a contract, instead of just deducting the money without actually telling me they were going to do that regardless...the contract shows what i was supposed to get, i mean give me the option to pay half on my own, maybe i was using the exact amount of the check for something else, the contract should have been rewrote to reflect this change regardless thats what I'm more upset about to. Thanks for all your insight.
the value of the truck they agreed to pay was based on the truck being in the condition it was valued at (ie with the rings repaired as you stated they were) so by having them pay for them that would essentially mean they are not included with the truck and therefore the value of the truck is less (and in this case less the amount of the cost of the rings, or half).

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I took a cross country trip in my gen 1 late may/early june to west coast from Indiana. Arrived back the 2nd week of June and filled out a KBB cash offer for my gen1 online. I made an appointment with a local used car dealership here who agreed to purchase my gen 1 for the offer. After arriving for the appointment and them looking over the vehicle they docked it down 1,000$. I fought hard with the aftermarket baja lights, suspension leveling kit ect and they agreed to go back to the original offer 1000$ higher. I informed them I had the beadlock rings(wheel beauty rings) at a local wheel repair place getting repaired from some rock chips from the cross country trip. I informed them that the rings were at this vendor getting repaired and the owner should be calling me when their done so I can pick them up. The sales manager asked me what local repair shop had them, and I informed him the name and owners name. The sales manager informed me verbatim "oh we deal with that guy all the time ourselves, heres my card have him call me when their done and we'll take care of it all, theres nothing more you need to do". So i signed the contract showing my payoff, and what my check will be for amount and I left. The next week the vendor called me and I told him you need to call the sales manager ect so he did. 30 minutes later I got a call from the sales manager that he was under the assumption they were already prepaid for and he just needed to pick them up? No where did we discuss who paid, if they were paid, or anything......I told him I was not paying as I was not instructed to. The next week he emailed me saying they would split the difference and cover half? I told him no as once again no one ever asked specifically about it and I was under the understanding "theres nothing else I need to do". Plus I checked with my bank and the truck was already financed through them to a new owner, so not my truck anymore. I went in the following week and claimed my check but it was for *** amount lower to cover half the cost? but they never told me they were deducting it from my check. My contract never mentions the beadlock rings or deductions ect just the original amount which I never got? Im assuming im screwed out of *** amount? Any recommendations?
Based on your description...and only based on your description...you agreed to sell the truck for x dollars....had you walked away and never mentioned those beauty rings you would have been on the hook for the entire amount of the beauty ring repair since you already had someone doing work on them. You made it sound as if you had it taken care of and all they needed to do was pick them up. You made it sound as if the new owner would benefit from work you already had in progress. In this case, because you were unclear about there being a bill due upon picking up the rings or what the cost of the repair would be, splitting it sounds fair to me.

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the value of the truck they agreed to pay was based on the truck being in the condition it was valued at (ie with the rings repaired as you stated they were) so by having them pay for them that would essentially mean they are not included with the truck and therefore the value of the truck is less (and in this case less the amount of the cost of the rings, or half).
Exactly! Don’t drop off the truck with some s h it missing per dealer’s evaluation. Otherwise you’re not holding up your end of the deal.

OP
OP
T

tooldrmr2009

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly! Don’t drop off the truck with some s h it missing per dealer’s evaluation. Otherwise you’re not holding up your end of the deal.
I mean I get what your saying but every sales person I've talked to and everyone else local when I tell the story, fact of the matter is they did not obide by their contract and honor the price they agreed to and that would hold in court. Everything I have is documented on voice recording and now that the dealer wants to twist stories on me saying " I clearly stated I already paid for them" this would totally hold up in court as they never originally said that and it doesn't state that in the recordings

OP
OP
T

tooldrmr2009

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys I see all your points and opinions. Appreciate all your help and sorry if I was rude during any of this, was just trying to get some insight and reasoning if I was thinking to far, or missing something. This thread can be deleted.