JDM's 93 Performance Tune vs 5 Star's 93 Performance Tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SlimChaChi

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good deal. His PM box is full and I've left messages but he's not always in the shop.

Donate to Avery and be entered into a raffle for an awesome prize for your Raptor.

RAFFLE IS TONIGHT. GET YOUR TICKETS NOW!
$500 gift card to Freedom Motorsports
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?p=796727

Ahh got ya. If I don't see him there I'll give Don or Mike a heads up...

Sent from a creepy white van with no windows...

5star

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Nice review. I'd love to see the dyno figures with the JDM tune compared to the 5 Star. Did you ever run any other 5 Star tunes other than the performance tune? The reason I ask is because I recently purchased X4 tuner with 5 tunes from 5 Star, and I've been running the 93 octane street (daily driving) tune and it sounds a lot like the JDM tune. At first the shifting was a bit harsh, but after driving it for a couple of days the computer learned my driving style and it shifts smooth with no problems. I did notice a big improvement when passing on the highway. It finds the right gear much faster and you don't have to WOT to pass.

There is a bit of a learning curve for the truck, but it the tunes come alive pretty quickly. Keep us posted on how you like your tunes as get some more miles on it.

---------- Post added at 11:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 PM ----------

I can say I've ran the standard and street versions of 5* tunes along with SVC, I still have to do a write up, but, as a preference I have stuck to SVC. 5*s just didn't impress me as much as SVCs. And from a customer service perspective, SVC knocked it out of the park. 5* dropped the ball when I needed issues addressed. They came out of the woodwork when I did my initial comparison of the tunes against SVCs and mentioned their lack of communication and / or support - they basically told me "it's your truck, not our tune" until my review was posted. This is just my specific experience and in no way should reflect anyone else's opinions bc I have heard guys sing 5*s praises on multiple occasions, just not me...

Sent from a creepy white van with no windows...

SlimChaChi,

Glad to read that you have found a tune that works for you and your driving style. As far as lack of communication/support are concerned, firstly my apologies that occurred and secondly, we have made changes to ensure that won't happen again. Sometimes it takes a new lineup to put the customers first!

---------- Post added at 11:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

I have run the 5 star 87 performance tune and the 91 performance tune minus 1 degree global spark, the shifting was definitely positive, NOT harsh for the most part. Sure every once in awhile you hit it just right like when you just mashed it in 1st and then lifted right before it shifts, sure it'll bang a bit but even stock it'll bang at that moment. I found the full throttle shift to be perfect, as well as it is adjustable in the menu to lighten the line press and change rpm from gear to gear.

What I didn't like was the constant downshifting, and at approximately 20% throttle it would wind a bit too much ( approx. 2800-2900 rpm) mostly 2nd to third before it would shift, but other than that the 90 octane performance tune was very snappy, powerful and consistent. The short excursion off road was a fun boost too. So far I've spoken to 2 peeps @ 5* and both conversations were good in the sense they answered some questions on adjustability @ part throttle for the shifting ( no adjustability ) as well as a few other misc questions

I recently loaded the 5*"Daily Street" tune @ 87 Octane plus 2 degrees Global Spark ( 89 octane ) I have only put 60 miles on it so far and with the 2 performance tunes it took about 120 miles on the two to fully learn both the truck and myself to the tune's so I'm not done evaluating quite yet. The 90 octane perf tune lost 1.4 mpg ( 14.3 TO 12.9 )and so far approx the same for the daily street tune, mileage is a concern but Total Performance in the end would be worth it if I'm happy

My observation of the "Daily street" tune so far is ..... Definitely lazier than the 90 octane perf tune, but peppier than stock. The trans shifts are very close to stock shifting, in fact too close for my liking. You have to remember I'm based at 4,400 feet and you lose a bunch of ponies here, which with the "Torque Management" turned back on with the "Daily Street" tunes affects not only trans shift strategy but throttle angle as well.

I will most likely have to have something "Custom Tweaked" Either in the Performance or "Daily Street" tune to be Satisfied. I keep mentioning the Altitude where I'm at, seems everybody thinks it will be learned and it will be fine, its not. In stock form @ this elevation to me this truck is a dog, it shifts way too soon in stock form, never consistent on throttle angle per load and so on...........

I have been working on cars / Trucks for 37 years, owned my shop for 19 years, Diagnose vehicles with driveability problems daily, I have raced both 1/4 mile and roundy round with cars, and 1/4 mile with boats. I played with Tuners for a few years too ( Hondas Skunk mainly ) Mapped Holly Pro-jections and Edelbrocks stuff too.

Now granted, shit is newer and smarter these days for sure, and they seem to adapt much better but it doesn't make up the 4.4% less oxygen that we lack from Fallon Nv's " Top Gun" raceway to Sacramento Ca's Raceway.

In another words about 16% to 20% percent less horsepower depending on vehicle and how modified it is, IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE! The tunes developed are usually @ sea level, I have far less HP than you do when you all are developing these tunes, so for me in the end it will be........... Who is willing to make the adjustments to the tunes to make me happy?

Bad_Rooster,

Thank you for your writeup. As you get more seat time and know where you would like changes to be made in your tune, let us know. We split time between testing in the mountains and at sea level. The mountains are by far one of our favorite test sites.

---------- Post added 12-15-2014 at 12:11 AM ---------- Previous post was 12-14-2014 at 11:55 PM ----------

Note: This is just my opinion and hopefully it helps you decide which type of tune would best suit your driving patterns, whether you are daily driving your truck or just using it for pleasure or just looking to try out a tune with smoother shifting. Both companies are reputable tuners and this merely my opinion on how I feel about their 93 Performance tunes.

NJStangersJonathan,

There are a lot of driving styles out there. That is why we offer the variety of tunes that we do with our Economy, Tow, Performance, Daily Street and Lycan Tunes (soon to be released). From all out race to making a trip to the store, we're happy to be one of your tuning options. Thank you for taking the time to provide a write-up!

Greybeard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's the skeptic in me, but I don't believe for a minute that Jonathan wasn't put up to this. If someone wants to do a comparison between products, I am all for it. However, when the contents of the comparison are so glaringly biased and overly enthusiastic, it becomes obvious there's something more going on. I do not run a tune in my truck, so my feelings aren't hurt.

It does come across as you say. I am torn between 5*, SVC, and now I find out that JDM as well makes a tune. As a consumer I take all feedback with a grain of salt but it on the other hand knowing that there is another competitor is good to know.

OP
OP
NJStangersJonathan

NJStangersJonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure, and I can guarantee the words "neck snapping shifts" nor "16mpg" will appear in that write up.

My apologizes for not responding sooner as I've been sick and working. But I am not new the tuning world. I've had countless tunes for both my Mustang and my older F150 to know when I've found a really good tune. For both of those, I also recommended my favorite tunes to my peers on forums when I found the best one that suited me. My comments are not exaggerations as I know what I saw. I was simply sharing my review. I'm sorry if it rubbed some of you the wrong way but that's how I felt about the tunes.

P.S. I thought admins were suppose to hold a neutral ground?

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
My apologizes for not responding sooner as I've been sick and working. But I am not new the tuning world. I've had countless tunes for both my Mustang and my older F150 to know when I've found a really good tune. For both of those, I also recommended my favorite tunes to my peers on forums when I found the best one that suited me. My comments are not exaggerations as I know what I saw. I was simply sharing my review. I'm sorry if it rubbed some of you the wrong way but that's how I felt about the tunes.

I never questioned whether or not you were happy with your tune, I'm sure you are. I was one of the first to have a JDM tune in early 2010, which is likely before you even owned a Raptor.

In my opinion, which is largely based on reality, your review was a bit dramatic. That's all. Just calling it like I see it. I've been calling people on ******** for almost 5 years around here. Why stop now? By neutral ground you must mean I'm not entitled to my opinion?

Double Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Speaking as the admin of a very large special-interest forum myself, I can't tell you how much of a back-handed statement this is. I don't know the FRF admin team from Adam but I can tell you that unless they're all completely disinterested third parties with nothing personally invested in this community or the truck that brings us all together here, they are absolutely going to have opinions of their own and should be allowed to share them.

I've had people make statements like that to me before and I can tell you firsthand that it comes across like this: "Hey, shut your face. You're not paid to have an opinion, you're paid to keep this place running for my amusement."

Not cool.