GEN 1 JDM Roush Upgrade kit (675/700hp)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rappedtor

Reaction score
Hey there guys,

TL : DR
1. Necessary parts that compliment JDM Roush upgrade kit?
2. How bad is gas mileage difference?
3. How big of a smile did you have after the upgrade kit install?
4. Is pedal commander necessary or does JDM tune solve this problem?
5. Thank you for all of the support guys, you have been extremely helpful in this journey already!

I'm in the process of finalizing a deal on a 14' phase 1 Roush Raptor w/45k miles.

During test drive I noticed the hard shifting and also limitations that the tune presented. I could just feel the trucking wanting to push harder but being incapable due to the golden handcuffs from the tune.

I reviewed the forums before test driving and overall everyone's comments here became very noticeable during the test drive especially when going wide open throttle from 15-75mph. This was the extent of the testing during the test drive. Albeit it brief, y'alls comments rang true.

That said, Im very interested in the JDM Roush upgrade kit. Can you guys provide some advice/insight on some parts that would benefit the truck with regard to life longevity and overall health. I'm not looking to dump a ton of money into the truck initially; however, the JDM upgrade has become my main consideration. During install I would like to get some risk prevention seeing as 700hp has the potential of stressing other parts of the truck. I remember reading about getting billet oil pump gears; however, they now appear to be unavailable.

I will be using the truck as a daily driver (12 miles per day total to and from work) and was wondering if there is a substantial gas mileage change. Obviously the truck is already at 11/12 miles per gallon as is but just curious.

Also is a pedal commander necessary or does the JDM Tune fix the throttle response? I feel like I might be confusing throttle response with pedal response.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oil pump sure looks available to me:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mel-10397-br/
https://autoplicity.com/12642340-melling-10397br

I'd recommend the pump if you are talking about preventative. If that goes, you are done for. I also eventually had to go to headers after one blown cat and two blown exhaust manifolds.

Do you have the larger throttle body?
I'd consider the big AFCO heat exchanger.
I'd also consider an upgraded rear drive shaft.
I did all of the above.

I had no need for a pedal commander. I went with the JDM tune and it screams. Mileage Wise, I'd say I get maybe slightly worse. Though that's likely due to the fun factor. If you were to stay mellow, I'd say you wouldn't notice much difference.

OP
OP
Rappedtor

Rappedtor

Reaction score
Oil pump sure looks available to me:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mel-10397-br/
https://autoplicity.com/12642340-melling-10397br

I'd recommend the pump if you are talking about preventative. If that goes, you are done for. I also eventually had to go to headers after one blown cat and two blown exhaust manifolds.

Do you have the larger throttle body?
I'd consider the big AFCO heat exchanger.
I'd also consider an upgraded rear drive shaft.
I did all of the above.

I had no need for a pedal commander. I went with the JDM tune and it screams. Mileage Wise, I'd say I get maybe slightly worse. Though that's likely due to the fun factor. If you were to stay mellow, I'd say you wouldn't notice much difference.

Hey Dane,

That's one heck of a helpful reply. I have to admit, taking the truck from 525 to 700 is starting to look more expensive than I expected. Parts wise it's really not too bad. The problem is I can't perform the labor as I just moved and dont have the space nor tools to do the work myself. I see the labor expense racking up fast.

I would not have expected the headers as a requirement.

Larger throttle body will be installed for sure as it is part of the JDM upgrade kit. I believe the roush setup already has a heat exchanger, is it not good enough?

BTW, I bet those BMW S1000Rs are super fun Dane!

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey Dane,

That's one heck of a helpful reply. I have to admit, taking the truck from 525 to 700 is starting to look more expensive than I expected. Parts wise it's really not too bad. The problem is I can't perform the labor as I just moved and dont have the space nor tools to do the work myself. I see the labor expense racking up fast.

I would not have expected the headers as a requirement.

Larger throttle body will be installed for sure as it is part of the JDM upgrade kit. I believe the roush setup already has a heat exchanger, is it not good enough?

BTW, I bet those BMW S1000Rs are super fun Dane!

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just to be clear, are you talking about just going to the 75mm pulley? (also I have one sitting right here)

Yes, the Beamers are awesome!

OP
OP
Rappedtor

Rappedtor

Reaction score
Just to be clear, are you talking about just going to the 75mm pulley? (also I have one sitting right here)

Yes, the Beamers are awesome!

Currently the truck only has upgraded parts from the roush phase 1 kit:
  • ROUSH R2300 2.3L TVS Supercharger
  • Fuel charging assembly with ROUSH designed upper and lower aluminum intake manifolds
  • Twin 60mm throttle body and matching throttle body spacer
  • High-flow cold air induction system featuring an injection molded air box, blow molding clean air tube and high flow, washable, premium air filter
  • 100mm MAF (Mass Air Flow) tube
  • High flow fuel rail with 47lb injectors
  • ROUSH Flash Voucher Card
  • High efficiency intercooler system featuring dual-core low temp radiator, degas bottle, high capacity air-to-water intercooler and formed hoses with abrasion-resistant sleeves

Looking to change sparkplugs, 65mm twin throttle body, 72mm pulley, and tune using this kit.

https://www.teamjdm.com/jdm-700-hp-roush-supercharged-raptor-6-2l-f-150-upgrade-package-2010-2014/

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Currently the truck only has upgraded parts from the roush phase 1 kit:
  • ROUSH R2300 2.3L TVS Supercharger
  • Fuel charging assembly with ROUSH designed upper and lower aluminum intake manifolds
  • Twin 60mm throttle body and matching throttle body spacer
  • High-flow cold air induction system featuring an injection molded air box, blow molding clean air tube and high flow, washable, premium air filter
  • 100mm MAF (Mass Air Flow) tube
  • High flow fuel rail with 47lb injectors
  • ROUSH Flash Voucher Card
  • High efficiency intercooler system featuring dual-core low temp radiator, degas bottle, high capacity air-to-water intercooler and formed hoses with abrasion-resistant sleeves

Looking to change sparkplugs, 65mm twin throttle body, 72mm pulley, and tune using this kit.

https://www.teamjdm.com/jdm-700-hp-roush-supercharged-raptor-6-2l-f-150-upgrade-package-2010-2014/

Ah, so the 72mm (I'd just skip a step and go straight to the 69mm).

I would do the pump. I wouldn't risk it. As far as exhaust, you can just roll the dice. Nothing is going to explode if stuff goes out there. Maybe you'll have better luck than I did, though I love my full tubes (Kinda need to do these if you go 69mm).
Now, the heat exchanger, well I dunno. I'm going to guess it at least has the larger Roush heat exchanger? There were two variants. The AFCO is WAY bigger and has fans. You're on the edge from what I understand. Same story on the rear drive shaft. Though I do have a spare OEM of those if you blow your drive shaft up!

Where in Colorado?

OP
OP
Rappedtor

Rappedtor

Reaction score
Dane,

Im actually in Colorado springs! You are only an hour away.

I will definitely get an upgraded drive shaft, oil pump, and heavily considering traction bars.
Ill have to find out about the heat exchanger but I wouldn't bet on it being a top of the line.
It seems like the previous owner went on the cheaper end when getting the roush kit.

Where are you seeing the 69mm pulley?
You have spiked my curiosity.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dane,

Im actually in Colorado springs! You are only an hour away.

I will definitely get an upgraded drive shaft, oil pump, and heavily considering traction bars.
Ill have to find out about the heat exchanger but I wouldn't bet on it being a top of the line.
It seems like the previous owner went on the cheaper end when getting the roush kit.

Where are you seeing the 69mm pulley?
You have spiked my curiosity.
Talk to JDM about the heat exchanger.
The pulley is made by VMP (https://www.vmpperformance.com/69mm-Supercharger-pulley-for-Roush-or-VMP-TVS-Raptor-6.2L) JDM can get it, I got it from them.

I've seen no reason for traction bars, though I do have +3 Deavers in the rear. I don't try to smoke my tires on pavement. It's not a sports car. The rear end can get jumpy if I spin them, but it's really not an issue if you aren't try to peel out - though it's quite easy to peel out if you want to.

OP
OP
Rappedtor

Rappedtor

Reaction score
Dane how much of a jump is the 72mm to the 69mm pulley?

I’m thinking on sticking with the 72mm that comes in the kit. I think if I go for the 69mm I may be asking to break something in the long run.

Id appreciate your honest opinion

I picked up the truck today and need to do some small maintenance first but will will start installing parts in this order.

1. driveshaft (looking at axle enhance)
2. Oil pump / oil pump gears (still figuring out the parts to purchase here)
3. Upgrades AFCO Heat exchanger
4. JDM 700 kit, with 72mm pulley, tune and throttle body linked above

Anything out of order or missing to keep this baby reliable?

Seriously Dane, thank you for all of the help!