GEN 2 JDM Engineering NEW Tune on the market!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I think I need to chime in here. I too have ordered this fancy tune..

Annnnnddddd... I have had the tune installed for only 4 days now.

First, need to say that Nick here is the best. will answer all your questions, even the nerdy ones.. ( i get geeky and like to know details of what was actually changed. and every question I've had, Nick and team always have a great reason behind the changes/answers. )

For the tune itself:
Mine is still in a learning phase as I've only done local street driving this week, but.... so far... I have to say, it is well worth it. They do take a few days to get your tune done, but that's because, like Nick has already said, they do it case by case to make sure it works right for each truck. There are so many things going on at once in these machines, that literally one bit of code off can cause, well, you get the idea.

The boost comes so fast you almost think it's NA ! Really, it is that quick of a response now. Especially when you go to pass someone or get out of the way. Man, that power is just waiting for you with just a nudge on the pedal. If anyone is wondering if they would want a pedal commander... nope. it just confuse things.

For transmission, I did have to get used it not skipping few gears putzing around, but after only little bit, I realized how much more efficient it is and how it's better when you command any power. They really put some thought/time into this.

I have not been able to get to the dirt yet :banghead:, but I can already imagine how much more fun it will be.
However, for giggles, on the street--I had 2wd, baja, just traction off, and wow..

Talk about instant power, and fact it keeps it spooled up and waiting for you to just get on it again, speechless, well not speechless, few choice words of excitement do come out LOL :33:

Mike cip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I think I need to chime in here. I too have ordered this fancy tune..

Annnnnddddd... I have had the tune installed for only 4 days now.

First, need to say that Nick here is the best. will answer all your questions, even the nerdy ones.. ( i get geeky and like to know details of what was actually changed. and every question I've had, Nick and team always have a great reason behind the changes/answers. )

For the tune itself:
Mine is still in a learning phase as I've only done local street driving this week, but.... so far... I have to say, it is well worth it. They do take a few days to get your tune done, but that's because, like Nick has already said, they do it case by case to make sure it works right for each truck. There are so many things going on at once in these machines, that literally one bit of code off can cause, well, you get the idea.

The boost comes so fast you almost think it's NA ! Really, it is that quick of a response now. Especially when you go to pass someone or get out of the way. Man, that power is just waiting for you with just a nudge on the pedal. If anyone is wondering if they would want a pedal commander... nope. it just confuse things.

For transmission, I did have to get used it not skipping few gears putzing around, but after only little bit, I realized how much more efficient it is and how it's better when you command any power. They really put some thought/time into this.

I have not been able to get to the dirt yet :banghead:, but I can already imagine how much more fun it will be.
However, for giggles, on the street--I had 2wd, baja, just traction off, and wow..

Talk about instant power, and fact it keeps it spooled up and waiting for you to just get on it again, speechless, well not speechless, few choice words of excitement do come out LOL :33:

Great to hear. Expecting to see my tune next week

New Nick at JDM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will NOT be disappointed. I just made my two buddies in the office ( one who also has an 18.. ) shiite their little ******* just going down the street to lunch. Then bragged for me to our bar tender.

Thank you for the good review!

If anyone needs help, I will always answer. I get busy, so it may be before of after hours.

I'm glad the tune was worth it for you, lets hope you can keep the tread on the rears on the street :Big Laugh:

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Thank you all for the interest! We aim to please the gen 2 guys here!
Regardless of pounding a dirt backroad, or city stop and go driving, your truck will be perfect for the conditions!

I've read where the boost is tipping 20-22 psi and I know my stock truck will only peak @ 18 psi.

So I've also read that higher boost also creates more heat.

Do you adjust the timing with your tune and what do you do with your tune to combat the extra heat due to higher boost.

I'm reading and trying to learn as much as possible about various tunes.

One tuner has a tune that will automatically adjust to the various octane gas being used....now that's awesome.

Curious, does your tune have this ability?

Last edited:

New Nick at JDM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've read where the boost is tipping 20-22 psi and I know my stock truck will only peak @ 18 psi.

So I've also read that higher boost also creates more heat.

Do you adjust the timing with your tune and what do you do with your tune to combat the extra heat due to higher boost.

I'm reading and trying to learn as much as possible about various tunes.

One tuner has a tune that will automatically adjust to the various octane gas being used....now that's awesome.

Curious, does your tune have this ability?

Sorry for the following lengthy post, but it is informative.

Assuming you have 2 identical Raptors, you can increase power 5 main ways in any combination via tuning: Add more boost, add more timing, alter air to fuel ratio, alter port vs DI fueling ratio, and adjust cam timing.

An engine is just air pump. The more air introduced, the more potential for fuel to be burned to make more power.

Boost is nothing more then a restriction of flow in the induction system. As long as the air charge is not radically heated to the point of a diminishing return (Far more than safely capable with these trucks, but a good intercooler is always a worth while investment,) power output will always increase with enough fuel as there is a more dense air charge in the cylinder with more fuel for a bigger bang. Ignition timing is generally lowered due to not being needed to make the same power as the mixture burns faster from increased air charge density assuming a constant air to fuel ratio. Generally, as boost increases the mixture becomes slightly more rich as well. Also, because more fuel is in the chamber we have a cooler charge, and greater homogenization that is less prone to detonation.

Adding timing to less boost for power production is changing the peak pressure of a combustion event to an earlier part of the power stroke which approaches greater mechanical advantage on the crankshaft. This is fine, but the closer you get to greatest mechanical advantage is also closer to detonation. If you have inconsistent fuel quality with aggressive timing, you can approach and sometimes cause detonation which will cause cylinder temps to SKYROCKET more so than a little bit more boost with reduced timing. It is well known that detonation also can tear up a stock piston and rod setup in a flash unless forged.

The reason the tuner Jim S.r. settled on this method of power production versus adding timing for our tune was from R&D for FMC when powdered metal rods were used in the mid 90's in the modular V8's. Powdered metal rods do NOT like detonaton, so he found this to be the safest way to make honest power.

As far as an adjustable timing map for varying octane content our tune will respond to greater or lesser octane content but we generally do not swing as far as from say 87-93 octane. Generally we offer a tune for 91 that will respond to 93 by adding a bit of timing. The truth is, the truck only knows how well the fuel is burned by constantly listening to the knock sensors (the largest factor), monitoring fuel trims (miniscule changes unless a wild swing in ethanol content,) and reading the wide band o2's (primary fuel adjustment) in order for the truck to accurately gauge how to add or subtract timing based on octane. If no detonation is heard by the knock sensors, the truck will continue to add timing until it hits a preset limit or detonation is heard via sensors.

Unless the KAM is reset (pulling the battery terminal for a bit,) how does the truck know to pull timing when fuel quality from good to bad? Detonation must occur in the slightest form for the truck to know there is a reason to pull timing back out for reduced fuel quality. If timing is not reduced fast enough, this can be very harmful to an engine. This is like the method of "riding the knock sensors" that has been around in tuning for many years.

I do not knock any of the methods used by other tuners, nor would I ever try to knock anyone elses work, but everything built into our tune has a reason for purpose and we deem it to be best for the public with regards to safety and longevity of an engine.

Last edited:

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Sorry for the following lengthy post, but it is informative.

Assuming you have 2 identical Raptors, you can increase power 5 main ways in any combination via tuning: Add more boost, add more timing, alter air to fuel ratio, alter port vs DI fueling ratio, and adjust cam timing.

An engine is just air pump. The more air introduced, the more potential for fuel to be burned to make more power.

Boost is nothing more then a restriction of flow in the induction system. As long as the air charge is not radically heated to the point of a diminishing return (Far more than safely capable with these trucks, but a good intercooler is always a worth while investment,) power output will always increase with enough fuel as there is a more dense air charge in the cylinder with more fuel for a bigger bang. Ignition timing is generally lowered due to not being needed to make the same power as the mixture burns faster from increased air charge density assuming a constant air to fuel ratio. Generally, as boost increases the mixture becomes slightly more rich as well. Also, because more fuel is in the chamber we have a cooler charge, and greater homogenization that is less prone to detonation.

Adding timing to less boost for power production is changing the peak pressure of a combustion event to an earlier part of the power stroke which approaches greater mechanical advantage on the crankshaft. This is fine, but the closer you get to greatest mechanical advantage is also closer to detonation. If you have inconsistent fuel quality with aggressive timing, you can approach and sometimes cause detonation which will cause cylinder temps to SKYROCKET more so than a little bit more boost with reduced timing. It is well known that detonation also can tear up a stock piston and rod setup in a flash unless forged.

The reason the tuner Jim S.r. settled on this method of power production versus adding timing for our tune was from R&D for FMC when powdered metal rods were used in the mid 90's in the modular V8's. Powdered metal rods do NOT like detonaton, so he found this to be the safest way to make honest power.

As far as an adjustable timing map for varying octane content our tune will respond to greater or lesser octane content but we generally do not swing as far as from say 87-93 octane. Generally we offer a tune for 91 that will respond to 93 by adding a bit of timing. The truth is, the truck only knows how well the fuel is burned by constantly listening to the knock sensors (the largest factor), monitoring fuel trims (miniscule changes unless a wild swing in ethanol content,) and reading the wide band o2's (primary fuel adjustment) in order for the truck to accurately gauge how to add or subtract timing based on octane. If no detonation is heard by the knock sensors, the truck will continue to add timing until it hits a preset limit or detonation is heard via sensors.

Unless the KAM is reset (pulling the battery terminal for a bit,) how does the truck know to pull timing when fuel quality from good to bad? Detonation must occur in the slightest form for the truck to know there is a reason to pull timing back out for reduced fuel quality. If timing is not reduced fast enough, this can be very harmful to an engine. This is like the method of "riding the knock sensors" that has been around in tuning for many years.

I do not knock any of the methods used by other tuners, nor would I ever try to knock anyone elses work, but everything built into our tune has a reason for purpose and we deem it to be best for the public with regards to safety and longevity of an engine.

I know that Ford has in it's own fuel management system a way to adjust from 87 to 93 so I was curious to know if it was being integrated into your tune.

Thanks for your response

OP
OP
xrocket21

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know that Ford has in it's own fuel management system a way to adjust from 87 to 93 so I was curious to know if it was being integrated into your tune.

Thanks for your response

Turbo cars in general, but definitely tuned turbo cars, youre gonna want to run the highest octane you can.

New Nick at JDM

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks for your response

That is true about Ford having its own system which is safe in the stock tune, but once you attempt to make more power it should be addressed and calibrated accordingly due to having increased cylinder pressure and also being closer to detonation.

If you have any other questions, I am more than happy to answer them!