IWE failed today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
If you can find a good solution you are going to sell a ton of them

That's what I'm hoping to do. Something affordable, that retains as much OEM functionality as possible (maybe even multi-stage kits). Yea anybody could design a whole entire new hub and iwe system, but I bet it would cost several thousand dollars for the customer. I'm looking to to make the upgrade as simple and cost effeciant as possible.

I am currently in the drawing board phase, and hope to have prototypes done in a couple months for testing during the winter months where 4wd will be used often, as well as shipping a couple units to SVC so they can bash on the setup to get some miles on the prototypes. If all goes well, I hope to release the product(s) early 2015.

I am still suprised that aftermarket companies don't have a bolt in solution available. Because not only is there the market for raptors, but regular 4wd f-150s as well.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was headed downhill and used low range to slow descent and the dreaded clunking shudder began. Later it started again in soft sand,not much load .... To make matters worse the shutter continued after switching 4x4 off(did not disengage even though the dash light indicated otherwise). Shut the Raptor off for 1hr then proceeded to slow crawl out in 4 wheel drive this time without issue.

My advice is do not drive in low range to slow downhill descent because all the weight of the truck is shifted to the front wheels (the weakest link).
Has anyone used a dealer for warranty work on the IWE in San Diego ?

how do i move this to general forum?

Wonder what that "hill decent" button does

OP
OP
wanderfalk

wanderfalk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder what that "hill decent" button does

It pumps the brakes right? I do not know what came over me on my last outing I was on a mission to make sure all the systems were working as designed including low range, hill descent control,and off road mode. The one system that does not work at all for me is the front view camera in the desert when the sun is at my back it can not see in the shadows conversely when facing the sun there is a compete tan out glare.

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
So why does there seem to be a problem now with this type set up when Ford has been using the same set up for 25 plus years? Its was fine on my 2004 FX4. I did everything and had it everywhere I have had the Raptor and it NEVER gave me any issues.

Other than the popping noises now when you go from left or right past center the other directing while going slow mine seems fine. Well sept for that little issue of dropping into low range while driving 40 mph with it was selected in 4 high. Rreeeerrererererrrrrrrr. CLUNK!

BDRAG

Last edited:

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's what I'm hoping to do. Something affordable, that retains as much OEM functionality as possible (maybe even multi-stage kits). Yea anybody could design a whole entire new hub and iwe system, but I bet it would cost several thousand dollars for the customer. I'm looking to to make the upgrade as simple and cost effeciant as possible.

I am currently in the drawing board phase, and hope to have prototypes done in a couple months for testing during the winter months where 4wd will be used often, as well as shipping a couple units to SVC so they can bash on the setup to get some miles on the prototypes. If all goes well, I hope to release the product(s) early 2015.

I am still suprised that aftermarket companies don't have a bolt in solution available. Because not only is there the market for raptors, but regular 4wd f-150s as well.

I say send them to me. I go through IWEs like underwear. I'm tell you if it will hold up or not. If they hold, I'll gladly pay for em.

Have you checked out the thread the @Squatting Dog had on an upgraded IWE? He was trying to get some larger manufactures into designing a fix, but I don't thunk they saw the market for it and nothing really came of it.

Here it is:

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?p=348346

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

Last edited:

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
I say send them to me. I go through IWEs like underwear. I'm tell you if it will hold up or not. If they hold, I'll gladly pay for em.

Have you checked out the thread the @Squatting Dog had on an upgraded IWE? He was trying to get some larger manufactures into designing a fix, but I don't thunk they saw the market for it and nothing really came of it.

Here it is:

Upgraded IWE - FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor

Yukon Joe
Run Raptor Run | Great Lakes Raptor Excursions (GLRE)

Yes I've gone thru that thread more times than I can remember. I think Greg went crazy trying to fiqure out a solution.:ROFLJest:

But I will keep you in mind when I get some units ready for testing. I'm not trying to put a time line on it, as things always take way longer than planned.

I just don't understand why the big manufactures don't jump on this. There is a market for it.

dhollist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is possibly a bigger market and profit margin selling multiple copies of the existing design to every F-150 owner out there, including me.