IS THERE A WAY TO TELL IF TRUCK HAS TUNE?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zack Seltzer

Reaction score
Hello, I have just purchased a 2018 raptor with roughly 18K miles. The truck already has AFE cold air intake and exhaust installed. The item I am concerned about is does this truck have a tune on it or not?

I am not very familiar with this platform, so would love some help from you guys. The truck runs and feels great but it is hard to tell if it has tune or not. Is there anything in particular I should look for that may give a hint if it has a tune loaded?

One thing I have noticed is that the auto start/stop has never engaged since I have been driving it the last 3 days. The light on the button is not illuminated and when I come to a stop their is a symbol that pops up on the dash with an "A" with a slash through it. This only happens when I come to a complete stop. When I go into the settings about start/stop, it says this function is not performing due to engine charging.

Also, the pedal response in my opinion feels great, I feel that if I barely press the truck goes. I am also coming from a 2500 stock duramax.

Would love any help that I can get.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If the pedal response is great... it must have a tune or a pedal commander, cause stock pedal response sucks.

One way to tell possibly would be to see how much boost you are running. is it the 802a dash with the built in boost gauge? 16 ish should be stock, more than that and its most likely tunes.

Raptor-FTW

Reaction score
So it's possible start/stop was disabled through Forscan (https://www.f150forum.com/f118/forscan-software-enable-disable-features-your-truck-348987/) and/or other minor settings were edited (does it honk if you take the keys with you out of the truck while it's running, do the mirrors auto-fold when you turn it off, etc). This would all be done separate of a tune. As for pedal response, it sure sounds like that was changed like xrocket21 said. Lastly, a ford dealer should be able to tell if there is non-stock engine mapping on it, but that isn't necessarily a smart move unless you happen to have a friend in the service department that can discretely check things out.

Simplejack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just my .02 I would go to the dealer if that's where u bought it from and have them check, in case something happens (breaks or malfunctions) and u think it should be covered under warranty but they deny you due to the tune that may be on there and you dont even know about it.

kid icarus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just my .02 I would go to the dealer if that's where u bought it from and have them check, in case something happens (breaks or malfunctions) and u think it should be covered under warranty but they deny you due to the tune that may be on there and you dont even know about it.

Exactly - have it verified and documented. You don't want to be stuck paying for the future repairs.

Since you are new, have you checked the oil level in this truck yet? Keep a close eye on it. On cold start, do you get a rattle? Need to keep an eye on that too.

Dan096

Reaction score
As soon as I hook up fords IDS it asks me if this is the vehicle I'm working on by the vin. When clicking yes it gives me vehicle information including pcm calibration number. If it has a performance tune it comes up Aftermarket Calibration. Even Ford Performance tunes come up Aftermarket. I've only seen a couple of tunes that may change a letter or a number in stock tune.Stock calibration will change if dealer reflashed pcm

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has a tune. Your pedal description is key

traxem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could test drive another 2018 to see if your has been tuned.

If you came from a 2500 Duramax, you're definitely going to see better acceleration from a Raptor so I wouldn't pay too much attention to the pedal differences unless you're comparing it to another Raptor.

#1LeadFoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have access to a Obd 2 scan tool you can take a look at your I/M readiness monitors. If O2 & O2 monitor say N/A then more than likely it’s been tuned.