Is the HUD worth waiting for on a 24?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shellbmb

Reaction score
Have an option to buy a 2023 37 package at sticker, but I'm seeing some 24's start to be produced. I know this question has been asked before, but this will by my first Raptor. Don't need a 37, but like it. Would probably be perfectly happy with a 35 2024 as well. I think the only thing that appeals to me on a 24 is the HUD. But I've never seen it. Does it just show speed or is it fairly advanced and shows other details like phone calls, XM radio data, etc?

I demoed an AT4X and thought the HUD was meh. I have a BMW and the HUD is awesome.

So a 2023 37 package that's pretty much ideal, or wait for a 2024 either 35 or wait even longer for a 37. Don't need either immediately.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF.
It looks pretty basic but the driver screen shows some config options, so maybe stuff besides time, speed & temp. RPM would be great.

1705077928685.jpeg

RaptorFan1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you really want the HUD it's basically your only option. Unlike a lot of retrofits, you can't really throw this on a 21-23 because of the type of windshield needed to not duplicate the image of a HUD and the aftermarket ones just look like junk. I think it was a huge swing and a miss on Ford's part not including this in the Gen3 from the start but certainly not a dealbreaker from a functionality standpoint. It's not like it tells you anything you don't already know.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had HUD on my Tundra and it was nice, but not life changing. Have it on my wife's Audi and feel the same way, just not worth the upgrade to me from a '21-'23 MY, especially as often as I have to change windshields with rock damage.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've had it on a ton of cars and haven't had it on many. it's nice to have but it ain't like a heated steering wheel if you live in a cold environment.

As to special windshield. it's only completely polarized. That shouldn't stand in the way of a retrofit. But replacing the dashboard would.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Is the new windshield north of $725.00 US ? I’d be cognizant of this. I’ve had 2 OEM busted windshields and they’re a fùcking pain in the àss to get repaired.
I stupidly let safelite have go last time, took them ALL FÛCKING DAY for my 0830 scheduled appointment, then they come out and say Our lane keep machine is out, we can’t let you drive the truck. It’s almost 5 PM and they close at 6. I figure no problem - “it’s configurable on my truck, I’ll take it to the dealer”. No, was their response, so I upped the ante a little by informing the tech that if closing time rolled around, and I was prevented from my vehicle, anyone involved was heading out of the building in cuffs for a larceny charge. That got the manager and I told him the same thing.

MIRACULOUSLY the machine started working and it would only be 10 minutes. “I’ll give 15 minutes to finish or this becomes something more” and I started a timer on my phone. It was ready by 13 minutes into the timer.

Apparently, they have some corporate policy to not return the vehicle if the lane keep hasn’t been recalibrated. Probably some liability issue, etc. but ... No, you can’t just have my truck.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is the new windshield north of $725.00 US ? I’d be cognizant of this. I’ve had 2 OEM busted windshields and they’re a fùcking pain in the àss to get repaired.
I stupidly let safelite have go last time, took them ALL FÛCKING DAY for my 0830 scheduled appointment, then they come out and say Our lane keep machine is out, we can’t let you drive the truck. It’s almost 5 PM and they close at 6. I figure no problem - “it’s configurable on my truck, I’ll take it to the dealer”. No, was their response, so I upped the ante a little by informing the tech that if closing time rolled around, and I was prevented from my vehicle, anyone involved was heading out of the building in cuffs for a larceny charge. That got the manager and I told him the same thing.

MIRACULOUSLY the machine started working and it would only be 10 minutes. “I’ll give 15 minutes to finish or this becomes something more” and I started a timer on my phone. It was ready by 13 minutes into the timer.

Apparently, they have some corporate policy to not return the vehicle if the lane keep hasn’t been recalibrated. Probably some liability issue, etc. but ... No, you can’t just have my truck.
Many shops don’t even check this.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had previous cars and have currently 1 car with HUD. It’s cool, but I’ve never been like damn i need this in the raptor. For high speed off-road it might be pretty nice, but for normal road driving in a pickup truck….idk

Also I only wear polarized sunglasses and those can completely block HUD out …sometimes depending on the setup.

OP
OP
S

shellbmb

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Talked to a buddy who has a 23 superduty and he said that it does display more info than just basic vehicle data. Like apple maps will show up if you are using carplay so it is more advanced that the GMC one I saw and similar to BMW's. Probably still not a deal breaker, but would be cool to have. If I wait for a 24 37 pp, it might be till next year with a markup!

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
So not exactly apples to apples here, but stick with me.

I ordered my 2021 TRX without the HUD, and a few times have wondered if that was a mistake? Late last year I got to drive one with the HUD and it was cool, but I was glad I didn’t pay for it. To me it wouldn’t have been worth the extra money. The other problem is at 6’8” the HUD on the TRX didn’t come up high enough, so the top of the display was cut off.

My point is if you can get a 2023 like you want, I’d do it. More than likely less expensive than what a 2024 Raptor will go for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter