Is a catch Can necessary?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swacer_2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I"ve run catch cans on my cars for probably 8+ years.

JLT on our explorer sport, 2014 Raptor, 2022 Raptor

Ford Performance on GT350

Elite on my LS3 camaro

I"ve found little to nothing in the ecoboost explorer and raptor. Found quite a bit in the 2014 Raptor and GT350. Moderate amount in the camaro.

My wife has a bronco being built, and as soon as I know its finished, I"ll order a JLT to go on that.

Dav1000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought most direct injections now days have port injection added, to help clean and cut down on the carbon buildup? I think toyota does this and i was thinking ford started doing this as well. I culd be wrong though.

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ditched my $30 Amazon catch can and ordered a JLT...it'll be cleaner looking on the install and easier to access anyway. It'll probably sit ontop of my 2nd fridge with all the other stuff I've ordered and haven't used for a month or two...lol.

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the catch can on my 22 is almost full every 5k miles
Taking the average size of most catch cans into consideration and at 5k miles wouldn't that be excessive to question an issue? Rings...etc? Mostly Oil? I think someone mentioned engine placement and condensation played a factor in collection.

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Taking the average size of most catch cans into consideration and at 5k miles wouldn't that be excessive to question an issue? Rings...etc? Mostly Oil? I think someone mentioned engine placement and condensation played a factor in collection.
i mean truck just turned 10k miles... i mounted it on passenger side right by the battery. Its a JLT. Im never low on oil....idk. I just take it as it doing its job,

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
Another worthless thread. If you’re asking if an air/oil separator is needed, then you have no idea of the why/how, so NO you don’t need one. Buy some under lights or other trinkets instead. Just drive it and follow the Ford maintenance directions. You’ll never keep it long enough to matter.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have over 50k on mine and collect enough monthly to suspect I’d fill it in 5k as I drive roughly 500 miles a week to my “retired” job on the other side of the county. Highway driving is 75-90 mph with occasional sprints daily to shoot around some idiot in the left lane erroneously thinking they don’t have to move over because they are “driving the speed limit” (Illegal in Texas to fail to yield to faster traffic no matter the speed). Thing is my collected oil in the can is as pristine as the dipstick. No water/condensation. Oil is fairly “clean” looking at my 5k oil changes. Well clean as expected at that mileage anyway. Of course I live in Texas where it may be 90 degrees at midnight cooling off to mid to high seventies by morning.

Point is, why in the hell do people who have vehicles with rings broken in differently in different parts of the country with different driving habits keep trying to compare notes on this subject?

Last edited:

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have over 50k on mine and collect enough monthly to suspect I’d fill it in 5k as I drive roughly 500 miles a week to my “retired” job on the other side of the county. Highway driving is 75-90 mph with occasional sprints daily to shoot around some idiot in the left lane erroneously thinking they don’t have to move over because they are “driving the speed limit” (Illegal in Texas to fail to yield to faster traffic no matter the speed). Thing is my collected oil in the can is as pristine as the dipstick. No water/condensation. Oil is fairly “clean” looking at my 5k oil changes. Well clean as expected At that mileage anyway. Of course I live in Texas where it may be 90 degrees at midnight cooling off to mid to high seventies by morning.

Point is, why in the hell do people who have vehicles with rings broken in differently in different parts of the country with different driving habits keep trying to compare notes on this subject?
Can't say I miss Texas. Was born in Pasadena and station in Ingleside just outside of Corpus. I do miss Whataburger and the Breakfast burritos. I bet mid and north Texas are better places.