Insurance: What the Fr*ck!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CruiserClass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to an independent broker. They run rates for many companies

Serious question: Does a broker have access to rates I do not running them myself online? I figure like financing, they are making their money somewhere that's ultimately coming from me.

Rick at FMS

aka:Rick @ FreedomMotorsports
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Serious question: Does a broker have access to rates I do not running them myself online? I figure like financing, they are making their money somewhere that's ultimately coming from me.
They get a discounted rate and resell it to you, usually somewhat less than going direct. I tried a broker for the first time and he was higher than any other quote I got myself. He used Travelers for the majority of the coverage but had to use Progressive for my commercial policy on the raptor. Progressive was crazy high.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Who is he?
Dave Ramsey. Good old boy from Georgia. Current net worth around $25M, because he donates the rest to charity. Runs a faith-based financial advice organization, has helped millions figure out how to not be broke or poor. He was giving a motivational speech awhile back and brought up how he only needs 3 "plastic" cards in his wallet:

His private (not company) debit card,
His driver's license,
His CCW card.

Pretty good advice.

Stormtrooper

Raptor R
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Private insurance is one thing, and has gone up, however for those of you that have commercial auto policies like myself those polices have gone through the roof! I’m paying an average of $520 a month per company Vehicle! I currently have 10 Company Vehicles, $5,250 a Month just for my Commercial Auto!

CruiserClass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave Ramsey. Good old boy from Georgia. Current net worth around $25M, because he donates the rest to charity. Runs a faith-based financial advice organization, has helped millions figure out how to not be broke or poor. He was giving a motivational speech awhile back and brought up how he only needs 3 "plastic" cards in his wallet:

His private (not company) debit card,
His driver's license,
His CCW card.

Pretty good advice.

Dave Ramsey is great for people who don't want to actively manage their finances, are very risk averse, and/or have little financial self-control. This does come at a cost, however. I use a rewards credit card for everything, both for the rewards and for the fraud protection. I would not be able to travel as often or as comfortably without travel cards. Airline status, lounge memberships, baked in travel insurance, miles accumulated, etc. Easily saves me a few thousand bucks a year. I'm debt free other than a mortgage, which is foolish to pay off given the interest rate on the note vs the gains on the same money safely growing elsewhere. I'm too risk averse to leverage debt much beyond that, but everyone's financial tolerance is different and mine is about a 3.5 on a 1/10 scale. :D

Anywho, back to USAA:

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score
Private insurance is one thing, and has gone up, however for those of you that have commercial auto policies like myself those polices have gone through the roof! I’m paying an average of $520 a month per company Vehicle! I currently have 10 Company Vehicles, $5,250 a Month just for my Commercial Auto!
Go down to the Mexico border. Sneak across into Mexico. Spend a day or so there. Sneak back across the border into the U.S. Get your Welcome! package. No hablo! You are now an illegal alien. Insurance? WHAT insurance??? Problemo solved!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Dave Ramsey is great for people who don't want to actively manage their finances, are very risk averse, and/or have little financial self-control. This does come at a cost, however. I use a rewards credit card for everything, both for the rewards and for the fraud protection. I would not be able to travel as often or as comfortably without travel cards. Airline status, lounge memberships, baked in travel insurance, miles accumulated, etc. Easily saves me a few thousand bucks a year. I'm debt free other than a mortgage, which is foolish to pay off given the interest rate on the note vs the gains on the same money safely growing elsewhere. I'm too risk averse to leverage debt much beyond that, but everyone's financial tolerance is different and mine is about a 3.5 on a 1/10 scale. :D

Anywho, back to USAA:

Time was they only OFFERED auto insurance to officers. Enlisted policies came later.
It’s a pretty low thing to do though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc