Insurance: What the Fr*ck!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slow_raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just received a letter with new rate from GEICO. Started at $160 / month that was my raptor, Toyota chr full coverage and my C6 vette on liability. Now $267 no claims in the 14 years I've been with them. I guess I'll have to shop around for other insurance provider.

Macdaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why is nobody mentioning American Family? They are way less than gieco, Allstate, farmers here in the twin cities MN. I’m $1157 annually ($250 deductible). I’ve had other quotes every couple of yrs just to make sure what I’m paying is a good price, but even if they went up I think I’d keep them just for the level of service I get. The agent and his secretary know my name and my family’s names, very personable and I like that.

slow_raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why is nobody mentioning American Family? They are way less than gieco, Allstate, farmers here in the twin cities MN. I’m $1157 annually ($250 deductible). I’ve had other quotes every couple of yrs just to make sure what I’m paying is a good price, but even if they went up I think I’d keep them just for the level of service I get. The agent and his secretary know my name and my family’s names, very personable and I like that.
I've never heard of them before.. I'm going to try and get a quote from them.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've never heard of them before.. I'm going to try and get a quote from them.
Really? I've only heard the "American Family Insurance" jingle about 56 thousand times in the last decade. Amica always gets top marks for insurers, you could try them too.

I can't justify the premium for Amica since I've made one claim between home and auto in 30+ years- Ike ripped the siding off my house back in 2008.

I don't wreck my cars and they are kept in a garage at all times. My houses are well maintained. For me, insurance has always been a waste of money. It's only there for a castrophic loss- basically a tornado or a fire.

If you never make claims, the highest possible coverage combined with the largest deductible possible is the way to go- unlesss you have no money, in which case you shouldn't own a Raptor anyways.

If your wife and kids can't drive, I guess that's a whole other story. I'm lucky on that front.

slow_raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really? I've only heard the "American Family Insurance" jingle about 56 thousand times in the last decade. Amica always gets top marks for insurers, you could try them too.

I can't justify the premium for Amica since I've made one claim between home and auto in 30+ years- Ike ripped the siding off my house back in 2008.

I don't wreck my cars and they are kept in a garage at all times. My houses are well maintained. For me, insurance has always been a waste of money. It's only there for a castrophic loss- basically a tornado or a fire.

If you never make claims, the highest possible coverage combined with the largest deductible possible is the way to go- unlesss you have no money, in which case you shouldn't own a Raptor anyways.

If your wife and kids can't drive, I guess that's a whole other story. I'm lucky on that front.

My issue with the increase rates I barely drive my vehicles. I do have a work provided vehicle which is my main means of transportation I leave my house at 6 am and back at 7 pm. Drive thr Raptor to the gym which is 6 miles from my house and back. My vehicles get driven maybe 3000 to 4000 miles a year if that...

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My issue with the increase rates I barely drive my vehicles. I do have a work provided vehicle which is my main means of transportation I leave my house at 6 am and back at 7 pm. Drive thr Raptor to the gym which is 6 miles from my house and back. My vehicles get driven maybe 3000 to 4000 miles a year if that...
3-4000 miles a year! Damm, I would buy a Mtn bike and a cheap Prius and put 80k to work.

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a friend in the insurance business. She tells me that insurance costs are (like everything else) on the rise. She said that all insurance companies are now using our credit score to base insurance costs with. Poor score = higher rates. It does make sense.
I sold my 2022 Raptor after owning it for 3 weeks. It's a long story, but for those wondering why, the seat hurt my back terribly and made driving it very painful. My insurance (with Erie) was $990/yr.. I bought a 2021 GMC Denali to replace it (nice seat). The Denali, with exact same coverage cost $1500/yr..
Insurance is money thrown down a rat hole, to me its a real good reason to stick with Ford. Unfortunately, at the time, I couldn't find a nice low mileage 2020 or older Raptor that I liked, so I just bought the GMC.
Insurance is a strange business. It sure doesn't make a whole lot of sense to the average Joe.

HoldenTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if any of you have picked up on the fact that this topic is almost identical to the threads on "how much did you pay for your raptor".
And the bottom-line is - you're dealing with a system where customizing the price for the exact same product has somehow become an acceptable practice - and what someone else paid may not really help you very much.

Scottx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HISTORY LESSON
GEICO- stands for
Government employees insurance company. Somewhere circa ??1972 ish they went bankrupt causing lots of problems and unhappy customers.
THEN BINGO THEY ARE BACK IN BUSINESS AFTER MULTIPLE YEARS ABSENCE. REPUTATION???able
Caveat emptor

Scottx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Insurance simplest equation=
You bet,pay, because you think something bad will happen.
Insurance co. Bets nothing bad will happen.
And I remember before insurance was mandatory ( license and registration)only) no point system invented no credit score bs. Etc. Insurance big business rip off.
Prove it. Once got a ticket in my 64 vette ( in 1965)for going 135 mph yes one hundred thirty five miles per hour in a 65 mph speed limit zone.
What happened,?,penalty was $1:00 one dollar for every mile over the limit and I was allowed to pay in three installments.
Today I would be going right to jail with expectations of huge financial extractions. Believe it or not way it was. And once you got a drivers license one could drive anything anywhere, bus , truck and then first addition was a motorcycle license add on for $3.