Installed the AFE Diff Cover Today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Been thinking about the AFE internal cooling fins and if for some reason, one of them were to break off, you would have some serious issues.

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Been thinking about the AFE internal cooling fins and if for some reason, one of them were to break off, you would have some serious issues.

The whole cover is cast from one piece of aluminum, so it's unlikely that an internal fin would break off. I could only see this happening if the cover hit a rock/boulder, in which case the whole cover would probably crack.

Not taking sides... I'm torn between MagHytec and AFE. I like the sight glass, but it just doesn't really seem necessary. Where is the fluid going to go? If you have a slow leak, there'll be signs of oil on the outside of the diff cover. If you have a fast leak, the sight glass isn't going to help you.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My point exactly. Hit a rock and it may break an internal fin. Before you can stop the truck it will destroy your gears. If there are no internal fins then there will be no issues.

The whole cover is cast from one piece of aluminum, so it's unlikely that an internal fin would break off. I could only see this happening if the cover hit a rock/boulder, in which case the whole cover would probably crack.

Not taking sides... I'm torn between MagHytec and AFE. I like the sight glass, but it just doesn't really seem necessary. Where is the fluid going to go? If you have a slow leak, there'll be signs of oil on the outside of the diff cover. If you have a fast leak, the sight glass isn't going to help you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TargetBow

TargetBow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My point exactly. Hit a rock and it may break an internal fin. Before you can stop the truck it will destroy your gears. If there are no internal fins then there will be no issues.

I would think there would be a possibility of this happening with any aluminum cover, if you hit a rock hard enough to break the cover I would think that there would be a possibility of the aluminum breaking in small pieces on the inside like little pieces of shrapnel with either type of cover. Just my opinion but with cast aluminum, the parts are pretty solid but hit it hard enough it will break and most likely have some small pieces that flake off on the inside.

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 PM ----------

You are correct about being able to detect a leak either large or small without having the sight glass but one nice thing that I see, is if you are in water and want to check quickly, if there has been any water intrusion into the rear diff all you would have to do is look for a level change increase in the sight glass or a big difference in the color of the fluid from normal.
I know, if you go through water you should be changing fluid soon after but this would be a nice way to ease your mind until you change the fluid.
This is just my opinion and I don't mean to try to sway anyone's decision on what they purchase. Both covers seem to be well built and to have either one of them would be a plus compared to the stock cover with no drain plug!!

justcozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see how the internal fins could break off without the entire cover splitting open? If you look at the pictures the fins are cast down instead of being raised. You could theoretically break a piece of fin off but that would require something significant to be floating around inside of your diff.

I'm quite interested in these covers now that I've been checking them out more. There is really no downside to having a sight glass. You can check for water intrusion and metal flakes every time you get out of your truck if so inclined. If you peek in and see glitter you know it's time for a quick flush...