Installed BD XL80 lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
First let me say I am a Baja Designs fan boy….BUT I still call them as I see them. I’ve run their products for many years including time down in Baja…and found there is nothing darker then a moonless night in the middle of nowhere in Baja.

All the LED lighting I’ve run has been from light bars, so this is the first time running individual lights. I wanted as much lighting I could get out of single lights so I went with the clear XL80, not the sport or Pro and at an advertised output of 9800 lumens it looked pretty dang good on paper…

I mounted them on a set of SDHQ “A” pillar mounts and wired to the AUX 1 switch. A word about the mounts…they are plenty thick and well braced, and snake tightly thru the fender bolts and hood, but mine fit a little too close to my fenders, in fact it looks like I might have to pull off the left side and “adjust” them a little.

My XL80’s are a driving/wide combo so I had 2 concerns:
1. Mounted so far back on the top of the hood would really interfere with the wide lighting.
2. Excessive glare form the top of the hood.

My fears turned out to be for nothing, the glare in minimum and the wide lighting is really good…

Summary: The lights are awesome and I am blown away on the light output and pattern, they put out an ass load of light! I took photos and video but they don’t come close to how much usable light comes out of those XL80 lights!

Also thanks to MD247 for his install video…

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I went with the Squadron Pro's because I was/am afraid the XL's will be too big on the a pillar mounts for my liking. Maybe I'm wrong though.

OP
OP
Loufish

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I went with the Squadron Pro's because I was/am afraid the XL's will be too big on the a pillar mounts

I can see that concern, but it's a big truck and size wise they look right at home mounted on the truck.
Again, the light output was my concern and these simply rock...

raptor36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice!! Please share photos and video :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Loufish

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here are some pics....

Funny thing happened when I went to my local supermarket to use their wall in the parking lot to dial the light aim in...at my usual distance to aim these lights they had so little hot spot I couldn't really dial them in as always...
I got the lights aimed, but it shows how much light being thrown down range...

Attachments

• XL80 1.jpg
    XL80 1.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 241
  • XL80 5.jpg
    XL80 5.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 259
  • XL80 6.jpg
    XL80 6.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 267
  • XL80 7.jpg
    XL80 7.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 265
  • XL80 8.jpg
    XL80 8.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 260
OP
OP
Loufish

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
BTW....I'm in Burbank and if you're local and want to check these lights out after dark, let me know and we'll take a short ride to Griffith Park....

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well Lou, I got my Squadron Pro's mounted on the same SDHQ mounts you used. They are very close to the fender, but I think that is how they are - have you adjusted yet? As I said before I went with the Squadron pros because of their smaller size, plus I really like the round version :) Do the XL's come in round as well? I went last night and found a wall up the street from me to aim these suckers, damn they are bright, I got spots FYI. I also have a 30" light bar in my bumper so I think I'm good with lights for now :D

Anyway, sorry for jacking your thread bbut here are some pics.

IMG_5086.jpg

IMG_5087.jpg

IMG_5089.jpg

IMG_5090.jpg

IMG_5091.jpg

IMG_5094.jpg

Last edited:

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Here are some pics....

Funny thing happened when I went to my local supermarket to use their wall in the parking lot to dial the light aim in...at my usual distance to aim these lights they had so little hot spot I couldn't really dial them in as always...
I got the lights aimed, but it shows how much light being thrown down range...

Well Lou, I got my Squadron Pro's mounted on the same SDHQ mounts you used. They are very close to the fender, but I think that is how they are - have you adjusted yet? As I said before I went with the Squadron pros because of their smaller size, plus I really like the round version :) Do the XL's come in round as well? I went last night and found a wall up the street from me to aim these suckers, damn they are bright, I got spots FYI. I also have a 30" light bar in my bumper so I think I'm good with lights for now :D

Anyway, sorry for jacking your thread bbut here are some pics.

IMG_5086.jpg

IMG_5087.jpg

IMG_5089.jpg

IMG_5090.jpg

IMG_5091.jpg

IMG_5094.jpg

These setups are great!

-Bailey, Baja Designs
www.bajadesigns.com