Icom F5021 Radio Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FarFromStock

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here's my twist on the VHF radio install.

I didn't really want to have it permanently installed since I'll only use it for organized offroad excursions like TRR. So, I tried to come up with a way that it can be easily installed and removed without permanent modifications to the truck.

I purchased a dash tray and rubber mat for a regular F150 without the center speaker:

IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

After removing the tray mat, the original tray attaches with two 7mm screws at the front:

IMG_0261.jpg

After lifting the tray disconnect the speaker connector:

IMG_0263.jpg

Here are the two trays side-by-side:

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

I then mocked up how I wanted the radio to sit in the tray and drilled the screw holes:

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

IMG_0273.jpg

I added some bracing on the back of the tray to increase the rigidity. Not that it needed it, but more for my own peace of mind:

IMG_0272.jpg

I measured and cut the new rubber mat to allow it to fit over the radio mount:

IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

I drilled a hole in the tray and cut out a hole in the mat to allow the antenna and power cables/connectors to pass through:

IMG_0276.jpg

IMG_0277.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg

Reinstalled the two 7mm screws and the radio was in:

IMG_0285.jpg

I then needed to figure out how I wanted to mount the microphone. Again, I didn't want to make any permanent modifications to the truck. I had previously installed a ProClip dash mount for my iPhone, but it wasn't wide enough to hold both the phone and the microphone. So I modified the mount by adding some scrap plastic that I had from another project:

IMG_0289.jpg

IMG_0291.jpg

Mounted the microphone clip to the extension:

IMG_0294.jpg

Reinstalled the modified ProClip mount on the dash:

IMG_0296.jpg

And here is the finished product with radio, iPhone, and microphone in their final locations:

IMG_0299.jpg

I'm sure this isn't for everyone, but it's a good solution for my desire to keep from permanently modifying the truck. I hope it sparks some creative thinking for others looking for a radio mounting solution.

Let me know what you think and if you have any questions.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Good idea, especially for radios without a detachable face. Clever thinking on the blank center plate.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I like the look, but in my case I have the GPS there so it wont work... Just a reminder the microphone hook needs a ground wire to it... It knows its on hook then... There are a few features of this radio that use that... good job...

CrownOffroad

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks great! I like the idea of having the radio real accessible. But with the radio up there, where to mount the GPS becomes the question.