I sprung a leak! (plus rattle)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Echo9599

Reaction score
Hey all! I was hoping I could lean on your technical expertise. I remote started my 2020 Gen2 today shortly before leaving my office and came out a few minutes later to a puddle under my truck. I took the pictures below, and at the risk of exposing my lack of mechanical knowledge, it appears to be coming from the exhaust pipe/joint right before it feeds into the muffler. It did leave quite a puddle though, which I dabbed my finger in and it had no smell and seemed to my untrained eye to be water. So based on those two things Im guessing its just condensation, and nothing to be too alarmed about (and all gauges are reading normal levels). But it was quite a bit, so I thought I would check with the experts here;

I did check around first to see if this had been addressed already and this thread seemed to be the most similar situation;

Thread 'Coolant Leak? Driver Side Pipe Bubbling Sound'
https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/coolant-leak-driver-side-pipe-bubbling-sound.89136/

Ive also had a bit of a rattle the last few weeks upon accleration, not sure if they’re related, only seems to happen when getting up to speed and between 1,500-2,000 rpms and then goes away. Any insight on either/both would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 02DC8158-7C27-4582-AE30-E725EC07EFA5.jpeg
    02DC8158-7C27-4582-AE30-E725EC07EFA5.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 2FA205B6-6EA8-4398-82DB-04783563BE3F.jpeg
    2FA205B6-6EA8-4398-82DB-04783563BE3F.jpeg
    323.8 KB · Views: 52

Blkshp18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Raptor exhausts are known to collect a lot of condensation in the exhaust if left idling for periods of time prior to shut off. Restarting caused the puddling. You might even notice some white smoke coming out is the exhaust upon start up.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interesting, thank you! So nothing else you would do? Try to seal better or anything?
There’s is usually a weep hole built into the muffler for condensation to drip out of, but I don’t think it’s suppose to at that clamp unless that is something new.

What kind of rattle do you have? Does it sound like it’s coming from the front wheels? If so, try switching to 4a and see if it goes away. Report back.

OP
OP
Echo9599

Echo9599

Reaction score
I have seen some of the other threads about rattles discuss switching into 4a before, so I did try that, unfortunately it did not work. It definitely sounds like it’s coming from the front end, I will try to get a video of it today. Again its only in the low end of the rpm range (1500-2000), and goes away once I get past say, 25 mph

OP
OP
Echo9599

Echo9599

Reaction score
Thanks Flash. That definitely seems to be the leading culprit based on all the other threads Ive read. If that’s true, anything you can do about it?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks Flash. That definitely seems to be the leading culprit based on all the other threads Ive read. If that’s true, anything you can do about it?
It could be waste gate rattle, but revving it up should get rid of it in nuetral, if its a driveability noise, then it could be your iwe's not having enough vacuum at low rpm, there's a checkvalve by your brake booster that is known to fail, your symptoms describe that issue as well. Make sure you are not driving around too much with iwe's partially engaged, not trying to scare you or lead you in the wrong direction, just don't want to see you having an expensive repair. The check valve is under $20 and you can replace it in the parking lot at Ford yourself.