How to: Tint your third brake light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R@pt0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A quick how to tint the third brake light. Cost was about $13 for VHT night shades spray tint. The basic procedure is straight forward.

Before

First Remove the Light...

Then scuff it up with 1000 grit sand paper to give the paint something to adhere to...

Then mask off the back where the reflector is exposed and spray...

Be careful when you spray because it is easy to get it too dark. I actually painted the back side of the edges with black paint similar to the tail light edges before I sprayed the tint. Also I sprayed the edges with a couple coats of tint first to make them darker, then I lightly misted the center of lens to blend it in. The tint looked splotchy when I first sprayed it, but I seemed to level out when it dried. If you mess it up just use the wax and grease remover to wipe the tint off before it dries and try again.

The finished product looks pretty good save for the one dog hair that got in the paint. The parking and brake lights are virtually unaffected and the bed light is just a little dimmer.

pwjstruebig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good write up! I did this as well and did my tail lights also. I would recommend taking clear coat in the can and spray like 6 - 10 layers (let dry between layers) then use the 800 then 1000 grit (dont quote me on the grit) sand paper to smooth it some and then I used compound ,plast-x and polish if you prefer shine

f150corey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you should rely clear coat it. or it will fade and ware away. and if u ever screw it up before u clear is. gasoline will take it off.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I used just a rustoleum clear gloss. Do not use acetone on the plastic for removal. Learned the hard way. It'll create cracks in the surface that are hard to cover up.