How to integrate NavTv and amp witn B&O?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, I've upgraded all my speakers and added an MTI behind the seat sub box with an amp for the Sub. Sure it sounds better than stock but it should sound WAY better than stock. In my limited knowledge on the subject I understand to get the best sound I need the NavTV unit and a 5 channel amp. How is the Nav unit actually hooked up to the system? I'm a dummy so if you can be explicit it would help. Now the amp, how does that run into the system? Do I need to run new wire to all the speakers? Do I need the 5 channel amp AND a separate sub amp? What 5 channel amp would you recommend?

I don't need an award winning system just one that doesn't sound so muddy. Also, how to you tune the Nav device? Where is the best place to buy it, I see people are saying it's $450 ish but I only see it for $550 ish. All info is really appreciated.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
It’s a shame we don’t have access to a universal repository of information, where we could look stuff up like how to install a NavTV zen...

https://navtv.com/media/products_file/2019/07/24/DSP12A-A2B_Installation_Manual_rB12.pdf

;-)

This looks pretty similar to the pre-’18 install of the DSR1 and to the extent they’re similar I’ll offer this - with deference to any who’ve installed the navtv

Run your battery home runs. You don’t need to hook them up just yet. You can probably get by with the recommended gauge wire, but don’t skimp because you’ll be using almost 30 feet of wire to get to the battery. I have fuses wired in the cab as well as at the battery, use your best judgment.

While you’re doin the battery cables, run your component tweeter runs, since the door sill will be apart. If you haven’t already replaced the tweeters, it would be a good idea to eyeball them so you can improvise a mount for them. Only run the tweeters if they’re passed through a crossover. I ran mine on the Sony amp for a while, not sure if the b&o is ok or not. You can wire the crossovers for the tweets now too, I put mine back by the amp.

Now is a good time to think - how am I going to mount the new amp? Once you have a plan and a backup plan you should be almost cutover ready. Splice / tentatively connect the harnesses as much as you can without pulling the factory amp, etc. double check your connections.

for the cut over

you pull the factory amp, and if you’re running a sub amp, possibly that one too. Mount and then connect the harnesses, then signal, then ground, and lastly, power. Follow the instructions with the NavTV for initial power up / tuning. compare with the amp instructions too.

For the DSR1 you disconnected the speakers from the amp, then increased gain until you got clipping, backed off and reconnected. This got the sound close to where you can tune it.

As for amp choice - that’s subjective. I’ll let others opine on that. Have a go at that install guide and see what you think.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I documented most of what you ask in my install thread.

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/it-is-done-started-my-b-o-replacement-stereo-install.68874/

IT is really quite simple of you have any mobile electronics and audio experience. Not trying to be a jerk, but some of the questions you are asking are very basic. If you struggle with those basics, you wont know what to do if something is not normal.

You may be best to hire someone.

Read my thread and let me or smurf know, we can try and guide you as best we can.

OP
OP
nikhsub1

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've never really touched a car audio system before, so yeah, my questions are very basic :) For reference, I am a sys admin and hand build servers and architect network structure etc so I am good with wiring and electronics, I've just never done car audio. So it seems to me, my 2 basic questions is that yes I have to rerun speaker wire to each speaker, and the 5 channel amp will power the sub as well. I did put new tweeters as well. Smurf mentions only run the tweeters if they pass through a crossover - I don't think I saw that on your list? I appreciate the advice.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Yeah, that was buried in one of the myriad of audio threads. The issue is that you don’t want to send a full signal to the tweeters.

You won’t need to run new speaker wires to the door speakers if that’s what you mean. but, if you’re doing component front speakers, you will need wires from the crossover to the tweeters.

traxem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a YouTube channel by 5 Star Car Stereos. They’re out of Florida. They have done a few Raptors. Here is a multi-part serie where they integrated a NavTv.