How much would YOU charge…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jackjare9455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Generic question… how much would YOU charge, or be willing to pay, someone to swap out an entire rear axle assembly on a truck. Nothing fancy, just old out and junkyard unit installed.

Edit: swap brakes back over to used assembly.

Neighbors son lost all his diff fluid and burned up his rear end… he’s looking for cheap options vs a rebuild. He asked me, just not sure on what I would charge him?

OP
OP
jackjare9455

jackjare9455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In
Generic question… how much would YOU charge, or be willing to pay, someone to swap out an entire rear axle assembly on a truck. Nothing fancy, just old out and junkyard unit installed.

Edit: swap brakes back over to used assembly.

Neighbors son lost all his diff fluid and burned up his rear end… he’s looking for cheap options vs a rebuild. He asked me, just not sure on what I would charge him?
I have only lived here in this hood 2 years or so, it’s always been kind of a toss up. There are times I’ve done things like a wiper motor for free, or got his pressure washer running, because I felt like tinkering… but then I’ve charged him to do a water pump on his 5.0 f150, and some service work (tie rods, rear axle shaft and fluids on his Polaris) he always offers to pay on his own (he doesn’t stay and help lol)and I don’t mind side money, and I am always way less than a shop. I’ve done a few jobs around the hood like this.

I would totally allow his son to work while I supervised and drank, but he goes to college like 2 hours away (19yo). He was just on his way in for a random weekend when his rear end shit itself.

I was just stuck on what I thought was fair lol.

OP
OP
jackjare9455

jackjare9455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much do you like the kid, neighbors?

How old is he? Would be a great opportunity for him to learn how to do it himself. You supervise and drink beer.
This is actually a good suggestion in most cases. Too many kids these days don’t know how to do (or want to do) anything on their car/truck, and not a lot of us experienced shade trees want to take the time and effort to teach.

Marlboroman

Reaction score
You guys are going to shit your shorts on the price and availability of those. Way cheaper to rebuild if possible and it likely is.

OP
OP
jackjare9455

jackjare9455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys are going to shit your shorts on the price and availability of those. Way cheaper to rebuild if possible and it likely is.
So, here’s the update on that. While I was sourcing some bigger Jack stands to get the ass end up high enough, he went to a local off-road shop and the guy was rude from the word “hi”, and threw out $4500 as a number for a rebuild (my neighbor just stopped in to politely ask worst case scenario). Not sure if the dude was just being a jerk, but neighbor walked out. Went to a body shop owned by a buddy of his, and they ordered him a used axle… $1200. And apparently, another buddy offered to install it for a 30 pack… so I am out of the equation altogether LOL. Which is fine, I got my own stuff going on either way.

Last edited:

mprice1234

SVT Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
This ended with best case scenario for you, if you installed the junkyard rear end and it turned out something was wrong with it they might turn around and blame your work. I sure you likely wouldn't have charge him what the job and your time was worth.