How does a front diff make fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That diff cover is not a real diff cover. That is what Banks used for demonstrations to show people how the aftermarket diff covers were actually causing more harm then good. That is not mention for actual duty.

I think it was meant as humor but you never know @GCATX

OP
OP
T

TravisHTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I am curious if they will try to deny warrant coverage since I replaced an axle assembly.

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully it was overfilled, but that’s hard to do, not impossible.
This. Mine was overfilled causing the passenger drive axle seal to leak (seep). I pulled the plug and drained the excess fluid. I think they are overfilled at the factory more often than we appreciate since most people probably never notice.

OP
OP
T

TravisHTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This. Mine was overfilled causing the passenger drive axle seal to leak (seep). I pulled the plug and drained the excess fluid. I think they are overfilled at the factory more often than we appreciate since most people probably never notice.

Interesting! First post I have seen for an overfilled from factory, granted I didn’t really spend much time with the search feature. Gives me hope.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
That diff cover is not a real diff cover. That is what Banks used for demonstrations to show people how the aftermarket diff covers were actually causing more harm then good. That is not mention for actual duty.

It's as real as "rock lights" and other ricer bolt-ons. Not sure if you can get one anymore, but people did use them as a real diff cover.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As an aside, I have noted many, many products that purport to increase fuel economy. Magic oil additives, intake swirl-inducing inserts, multi-tipped spark plugs, and uber-super-dooper CAIs all increase fuel economy. Amazing! If you add up the percentage increase in fuel economy of all of them, it leads me to believe that if you bought and installed them all you'd have to offload excess fuel or risk rupturing your fuel tank!

BUT this is unlikely in the case of a front differential. My guess is that there is a layer of water under the lube. Verification of that should lead to an inquiry into how that much water got in there.

OP
OP
T

TravisHTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so if you are trying to say all that stuff doesnt help MPGs, what next!? Are you gonna say those ready lift kits, and train horns don't add inches to where it counts either!? Blasphemy!

OP
OP
T

TravisHTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am gonna drop off the truck at the dealer on Monday. Hopefully its good news. If I was not so pressed for time right now, I would crawl under the truck and do some troubleshooting myself, just too much to do. Gotta outsource some tasks, and this is gonna be one of them.

ReconReggie19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably looking for the chocolate milk look. If they set long enough after being driven you are right on, the oil/water will separate back out and you would never know. If you check it while it's hot right after driving it will still have that chocolate milk look to it along with metal flake if your really unlucky :)
I was that really "Unlucky" guy. That's why mine has been sitting in the shop for the past 2wks waiting on parts.:emotions122: