Hood Shimmy at Highway Speeds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys,

So I've seen this for a while on my truck, but I've never remembered to post about it. I guess I ate too much lead paint as a kid.

When I hit 80 mph I see my hood shimmy just a bit, like the wind buffeting is moving it around. I did my mid-perch around the same time as my Outlaw Hood mounts, so I can't say that one caused it or another. Anyone else see hood movement at speed?

I had a hood fly open on my old Ram, and ever since I'm a little gun shy about it happening again. Having a hood slam into your windshield at 45mph permanently ruined the driver's seat. A shit stain was driven so deep into the fabric I had to replace it. :wizsmile:

Thanks,

Todd

jlatigo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no shimmy or shake here at 100mph.... have you checked the bolts and made sure they arnt loose?

OP
OP
shooterAMG

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check your hood tensioners and make sure they are ok and intact ... small rubber pads on the front corners of the hood...

That's what I was thinking, that maybe they need to be raised to provide an upward tension so the hood can't be pushed down and then wiggle around. Can't believe I'm the only one though.

MotuMute

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I noticed a little bit going over 90 on the way to TRR last month. There was a strong cross wind though. That is windy country, windmills everywhere. Wasn't in as big of a hurry on the way back, and didn't notice any at 70 to 80 mph. Think I'll check those tensioners as well.

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Factory truck/shock settings and don't notice a thing between zero and the rev limiter/governor. The taller stance probably allows for more air flow around the hood and fenders.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interesting---Mine will get a ripple or two on a hard (25+mph)crosswind at even 65 or so. Even going 120 mine is not jumpy at all but that was with no crosswind.

Last fall went to NM and had 50mph crosswinds on one trip. Tough to keep the truck in one lane plus the hood did shake on the outbound leg!

phydough

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine too has been this way for three years and nine days. Just the way the hood latch and bumpers were set from the factory.