Hi-Lift in action

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got stuck the first weekend I went wheeling...

I had been driving around on the rocks to the north of the lake and I decided to head down to the east side of the lake back to the road.

I was about 15-25 feet to the trail that circumnavigated the late. The ground looked firm and I did not want to cut through the deep reeds.

Well I buried her to the frame.

Couple of people tried to pull me out, including a 70s chevy 1500 2wd, and F-350 Dually, and a Dodge ram 3500 based repo wrecker.

I eventually called roadside assistance, and whilst I waited for them I decided to try to self extract using my Hi-Lift. I lifted one corner of the front then another and placed rocks under the wheels.

I am sure with another 30 min to 2 hours I would have been able to get out, but hey roadside is free...

img_0913.jpg

img_0914.jpg

About halfway out...

img_0915.jpg

img_0916.jpg

img_0917.jpg

Pulled out by the wrecker...

img_0918.jpg

img_0920.jpg

img_0922.jpg

The aftermath...

This is where my exhaust burnt the grass:

img_0923.jpg

This is how deep the tires were buried:

img_0919.jpg

img_0921.jpg

Here is this one again... note the mark where my spare tire was hitting the ground...

img_0918.jpg

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your stuck story. I think you were lucky to have relative solid earth underneath your "board of wood" to use as the Hi-Lift jack's base. Imagine if the plank broke...

Look like you're teaching him young :D

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hah now that's how ya do it! Getting stuck and getting out. Nice!

OP
OP
frogslinger

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did not have solid earth...

first time I tried I used a large rock instead of the wood... the rock went down, the truck did not come up... the ground honestly looked completely dry and firm but was not.

The wood was I think a 3X6... You can rest almost anything on 2X6s (semi trailer beds are made of them)... I have transported armored HMMWVs, FMTVs, armored 915s, artillery pieces, et al on trailer beds made of similar material... all put greater PSI on the wood. Also this wood was supported over almost its complete length...

I know it looks a little sketchy but I a confident that the loads were no greater than driving across a wooden bridge.

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
free roadside assistance? i didnt think i could use it in that situation...was gonna call a tow truck when my truck was high centered in 8 feet of snow lol but i kept thinking...3 hours of my time is worth 300 dollars to tow me out lol

pics look cool frog, thanks for sharing, and now i can see what you are talking about...i thought of that, i wasnt sure if the lift would scratch the front bumper or not...but it seems you left unscaved, so congrats!

Banned
Reaction score
those thigns are a lifesaver! my brothers 2wd chevy got stuck in our yard (it had rained a bunch while he was away and no one could warn him before he backed in) and he was stuck up to the frame, second he stopped he started sinking. We hot him out with 4 of those, used a 4 foot 2X6 under each one and lifted it in the air, put some crushed rock in the holes and he drove right out :p

BentToast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got slightly stuck to the frame 2 days ago on a soft shoulder right outside ot Ocotillo. Unlike you, I manned up, stuck it in 4lo and got myself out of it in 5 minutes

JohntheDrummer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wowsers! Now THAT'S stuck!! Hi-Lifts and a 2 x 6 seem like VERY good things to have. I bet it seemed strange getting out of the truck when it was buried like that. Like getting out of a low-rider. I also didn't know that roadside assistance also helped out "off-road." Good 2 know!!

FlounderStalker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe a class in wetland vegetation is in order. You are only 20 feet from a lake or bay. The bright green grass, to your passenger side, look like spartina and it grows only in saturated ground along the edges of marshes. The tall sticks behind you, look like cina beans and they grow only in areas that are completely submerged a few months out of the year. The trees in front of you are wesach and they grow only on dry ground - that's where you need to be. The dead tree beside your driver's side door is a wesach or mesquite that has died from too much water. Stay where the woody vegetation and the cacti grow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc