Hennessey Air Induction System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I'm no Aerospace engineer or Rocket scientist but I would have to agree.

Now I will say I don't care for the air box set up on the 5.4L....can't explain it but I just don't care for all those extra chambers designed help reduce noise or what not. This is not to say I would by an aftermarket CAI for a 5.4L.

I agree...I never put intakes on my cars but something about all those chambers rubbed me the wrong way

GasGasMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All those chambers reduce intake noise. They are not restrictive at all.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know the stock 5.4 intake tube isn't the prettiest... but the stock system is a true CAI which the hennessey clearly is not...

But I digress... the fact is that all those goofy looking chambers in the stock tube could actually help the power. Their primary purpose is to dampen resonance in the intake tube. Admittedly more for noise than anything else.

However, anybody that remembers two-stroke motorcycles will remember the "expansion chamber" exhaust systems and how much power they added. The sonic pressure waves in the exhaust were deflected and reflected by the cones in the exhaust used to provide a "supercharging effect" on the two-stroke racing engines.

The point is that the resonance in the intake can affect and resonance can hurt flow in the intake tube. Getting rid of those resonances by adding the chambers won't hurt a thing and could actually help intake flow considerably.

( I wish I could say that Ford tuned the resonance of the stock intake to provide a "supercharging effect" at certain rpm's.. they could... but the fact is that the effect would be very minor. Tuning resonances works much better on the exhaust side of a piston port two-stroke.)

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure the factory 5.4L works great, I just really don't like the looks.

GasGasMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you know that the intake side of an engine produces more noise than the exhaust side?

Anyway.
Engines are nothing but air pumps. Volumetric Efficiency (VE) is the term used for how much air is flowing in and out of the engine.

Intake and exhaust valves, throttle body opening, along with the piston size determines the VE. Until you change those, the VE remains the same. If you notice the MAF sensor is the same size as the throttle body. Putting a bigger intake tube on, really, does nothing for efficiency.
Using forced induction will increase the VE.

Just my $0.02

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you know that the intake side of an engine produces more noise than the exhaust side?

Anyway.
Engines are nothing but air pumps. Volumetric Efficiency (VE) is the term used for how much air is flowing in and out of the engine.

Intake and exhaust valves, throttle body opening, along with the piston size determines the VE. Until you change those, the VE remains the same. If you notice the MAF sensor is the same size as the throttle body. Putting a bigger intake tube on, really, does nothing for efficiency.
Using forced induction will increase the VE.

Just my $0.02

And the only 2 cents that make any sense. <G>.

Question... is ESAD's last name Hennessey? Just wonderin... <G>

Falcon

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
Hennessey themselves said that if you plan on really hitting the dirt frequently, then they don't recommend their kit due to the filter being open. As was said before, the stock airbok is already a cold air set up.........so if I were to do anything, it would just be more filter surface area with a good intake tube. I'm not sure just how much better an aftermarket tube would be over the stock one but I would certainly prefer a composite one to an aluminum one.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's rare that people who mod their vehicles don't say their mods are great/the best. And seat-of-the-pants happiness is frequently much more important than having a manufacturer prove performance increases.

I'm happy whenever any Raptor owner mods his truck and shares that info with us. Each owner reading about the mods can easily determine their own interest level and if it's a mod worth pursuing.

In one way, a product's "success" is determined by the number of units sold.