HELP! Very Little Braking Power!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Just had my OEM rotors and brakes with 6,000 miles on them replaced for the ART Ford Raptor Cryo-Treated rotors and new performance brake pads. After I drove away from the shop (Industrial Mo. in Anaheim, CA) and applied brakes for the first time the pedal went to the floor. I understand about bedding in the new rotors but my question is this....... After driving for about 40 miles, should I still have a spongy brake pedal? When i apply the brake, the pedal gets firm but the car does not slow down, as I slowly apply more brake the pedal just slowly goes towards the floor. I was in the process of braking earlier then i had to suddenly slam on the brakes and the car wouldnt stop but brake pedal was mushy and almost bottomed out! I understand new rotors+new pads= crappy stopping power, but that shouldnt affect the pedal travel should it? I took it back too Industrial Mo. and they had me sit for 1 1/2 hours as they "broke in" the new rotors and said that was the issue. Even after they did this , it still did not fix the issues. Again....I understand you have to bed in rotors with the new brakes to obtain maximum stopping power but my issues are

1) brake pedal goes to floor
2) Brake pedal never feels stiff

Last edited:

J0shM1lls

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had my OEM rotors and brakes with 6,000 miles on them replaced for the ART Ford Raptor Cryo-Treated rotors and new performance brake pads. After I drove away from the shop (Industrial Mo. in Anaheim, CA) and applied brakes for the first time the pedal went to the floor. I understand about bedding in the new rotors but my question is this....... After driving for about 40 miles, should I still have a spongy brake pedal? When i apply the brake, the pedal gets firm but the car does not slow down, as I slowly apply more brake the pedal just slowly goes towards the floor. I was in the process of braking earlier then i had to suddenly slam on the brakes and the car wouldnt stop but brake pedal was mushy and almost bottomed out! I understand new rotors+new pads= crappy stopping power, but that shouldnt affect the pedal travel should it? Why doesnt ABS kick in either when i press the brake pedal all the way down??? I took it back too Industrial Mo. and they had me sit for 1 1/2 hours as they "broke in" the new rotors and said that was the issue. Even after they did this , it still did not fix the issues. Again....I understand you have to bed in rotors with the new brakes to obtain maximum stopping power but my issues are

1) brake pedal goes to floor
2)ABS never kicks in
3) Brake pedal never feels stiff

Definately sounds like the brakes weren't bled correctly. I would definately get that fixed ASAP before driving it anymore if possible. You almost for sure have air in the lines.

Josh

OP
OP
Reaction score
Definately sounds like the brakes weren't bled correctly. I would definately get that fixed ASAP before driving it anymore if possible. You almost for sure have air in the lines.

Josh

Thats exactly what I thought too but they said they just pushed the pistons on the calipers back in to install new pads. Ive changed pads on previous vehicles this way including my motorcycle and never had any issues. Would it be better to just take to Ford and pay out of pocket and have them check the whole brake system?

J0shM1lls

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats exactly what I thought too but they said they just pushed the pistons on the calipers back in to install new pads. Ive changed pads on previous vehicles this way including my motorcycle and never had any issues. Would it be better to just take to Ford and pay out of pocket and have them check the whole brake system?

Have you taken a look at your brake lines leading to the caliper to see if there's any fluid leaking or possibly they broke/fractured a line? Also take a look at your fluid levels in the resevoir to see if its within spec.

Wheela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont pay ford to look at them, the people you paid to have them installed obviously failed to properly do them right and they need to fix it your put your stock brakes on and give you back your money

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
dont pay ford to look at them, the people you paid to have them installed obviously failed to properly do them right and they need to fix it your put your stock brakes on and give you back your money

Agree. Suggest you (carefully!) take your truck to an independent shop and have them power bled.

Sparvy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you either have a leak or air in the lines. Not a good thing since by the description of the work they did they didn't/shouldn't have opened up the system in any way. If it was a matter of just bedding in the brakes; yah they can feel a little spongy or numb, but nothing like what you have described (and that includes bedding in full race pads). They definately screwed somthing up.

Boss327

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You either have air or a leak in the line.

If the shop you got the work done has driven it and says its ok, then take it somewhere else because their dumb.

slowrsx

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem after installing new pads and rotors. . I bled them.. brout it to ford they said there was nothing wrong but my pedal feels the same. .. no there is no fluid leaking anywhere ...no my brake lines where not punctured. . ... I dont know what it could be