Help.. Truck won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
"Engineering around stupid is one of the biggest challenges an engineer has to deal with." That's funny and true but...don't forget, paying for lousy engineering is one of the biggest challenges buyers of vehicles of all prices have to deal with.

Seriously, my Jeep and Honda can count down remaining gas tank range to almost zero with accuracy.

Did you calibrate the fuel gauges on your Jeep and Honda by deliberately running out of gas? If not, then both manufacturers probably under reported fuel remaining as their idiot proof technique and is the only thing that prevented you from running out of gas when you were acting like an idiot driving around with zero fuel reported.

Vehicle lean is an issue for rigid tanks. While It is possible to make the bottom of the fuel tank funnel shaped to combat vehicle lean, that funnel shape reduces the volume of the tank. You choose, smaller funnel shaped tank that works at unusual lean angles, or a larger tank that gives more fuel to the non-idiots in the world. I'm glad Ford decided to go with a larger tank.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I did an experiment. Had 43 "miles to go" on computer. Then parked on my very steep driveway facing up. Waited 5 min. Then tried to start. Started right up. So I turned around and faced down. Waited 5 min. Then it started right up again.

Could Ford have changed something mid year? Mine was a March build. Or did I just get lucky.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
What about driving downhill?

---------- Post added at 02:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 AM ----------

Two different issues. 2010-14 SVT Raptor is fuse 27. Gen 2 raptor ecoboost is fuel pickup issues.

No...the same thing has happened on the Gen1. You run a 36 gallon tank down to the fuel warning and there's not much left in the bottom of the tank for the pump to pick up. Fuse 27 is a separate issue with different symptoms (Like the fuel pump not turning on).

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I did an experiment. Had 43 "miles to go" on computer. Then parked on my very steep driveway facing up. Waited 5 min. Then tried to start. Started right up. So I turned around and faced down. Waited 5 min. Then it started right up again.

Could Ford have changed something mid year? Mine was a March build. Or did I just get lucky.

You still have all the fuel in the lines... Let it idle for a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
************* UPDATE **************

The problem was low fuel and parked on an incline.. but... I swear to god I had enough fuel for 50 miles.. I added about 1 gallon Or more of fuel.. Truck wouldn't start... then I took the chance rolling it down blocking the road and starting it...BAM! PHO KIND TRUCK STARTS.. when the trucked started it said it has fuel for 16 miles.. I let the truck idle so the fuel could get it lines.. then I drove it to the gas station about 2 miles..LOL.. When I got to the gas station my fuel gauge said 70 miles..LOL DA FUQ?

Thanks for the update...this is good information.

What was the build date of your truck? I'll experiment with mine...it's a brand new '18.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The gauge cluster info doesn’t update in real time. TPMS behaves similar, and each of the reading has its own idiosyncrasies.

Good info on the fuel level.