Help.. Truck won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ManfromSnowyRiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seriously guys? ANY modern vehicle should be able to run low on gas, and what about off-road? On a hill, running short. If it stops with 50 miles left on the road, what 100 on a hill climb? Does anyone else see this as UN-acceptable? I have ran modern rigs on vapors...something needs a re-design in the tank.

Mcnawsty

Banned
Reaction score
Nope. Not this truck for some reason. I am surprised Ford has not made a concerted effort to fix this.

Micha

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seriously guys? ANY modern vehicle should be able to run low on gas, and what about off-road? On a hill, running short. If it stops with 50 miles left on the road, what 100 on a hill climb? Does anyone else see this as UN-acceptable? I have ran modern rigs on vapors...something needs a re-design in the tank.

On flat ground? Or with the nose pointed down like you are coming down a hill?

The pickup is in the rear for a reason, say you are running on those fumes and you have to go uphill like the vehicle is designed for? Your fuel all pools in the rear, thus allowing the pickup to still bring in fuel to the engine so it stays running.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score

It's a common problem with the Gen1 and apparently it's a similar setup on the Gen2

Sledgehammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only way to 'fix' this would be to put a much smaller tank. Is that something that interests you? The gas tank is 36 gallons. Go look under the truck and see just how big that is. At 50 miles to empty thats probably 3 gallons of fuel spread out across the bottom of that huge tank. Its basically a small amount spread across large area. Also the gas in the tank is basically what keeps the fuel pump cool. So when you run the tank low like that the pump is exposed to air which doesnt cool as well as the fuel pump being submerged in fuel which causes the pump to run hotter. Lastly everytime you fill up your car a small amount of particles enters the tank. So when you you run it low your basically concentrating all that debris where some will get past the pump filter and over time damage the pump. Having said all that, if you want your pump to last, and dont want to have to worry about parking on a hill, dont let it go below 1/4 tank roughly. Thats something ive always done, and knock on wood never had a fuel pump fail me.