Help Deciding on a Tonneau Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

truckarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would consider Undercover Flex. It is similar to Bak with some minor upgrades.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are any of these strong enough to sit on or sleep on? I wouldn't mind using the bed cover for a raised sleeping platform when camping in crappy areas but I don't know if any of them are actually strong enough for that.

I've been waiting for the Roll-X XT to come out but it seems to be taking forever.

I have the extang solid fold and like it. I can stand on it with no issues. It's been on all the off-road trips I've been on with no issues. The rubber is getting a bit worn and it doesn't seal add well with the wsi light rack, but I enjoy it all just the same.

uploadfromtaptalk1400161395283.jpguploadfromtaptalk1400161410653.jpg

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

amphibian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would consider Undercover Flex. It is similar to Bak with some minor upgrades.

I have the flex too. There are a bunch of things about it that are just better designed than the Bak. The panels are the same, but if you compare the little things like the retainer straps, the supports that hold it open etc you'll see the differences. Not to mention it's a bit cheaper than the F1, even with the best discount available here. I'd buy mine again in a heartbeat.

Look around on the forum where people complained about straps ripping out, supports breaking etc with the bak...

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
BakFlip F1 and BedRug Mat purchased from Chris at Freedom Motorsports. Very pleased with my purchase and no issues off-road.

raptor1001

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have the roll and lock on mine and I don't recommend it for a raptor. After some hard off-roading (not limit pushing hard, but hard) it has gone to crap. It doesn't open by itself like it did when it was new even with lubrication. And it won't roll all the way up at all and if I get up there and force it it gets stuck. I've ran down some pretty rough dirt roads at 75-80ish and when I get home the cover has even opened on its own even when locked. Good cover, but can't hold up to what the truck is capable of

Reaction score
Bed Cover Suggestions?

I would like to get a bed cover that will essentially let me use the bed as a trunk. So, nice looking, highly functional for accessing, and water tight. "Tool-less" security is all I need (ie: keeps anyone out that doesn't have a tool to break something), as anything expensive would be in the front....pretty much just groceries and bulky things, maybe luggage on trips, etc.

I would really like your thoughts on what you have or have seen. I do have a tailgate step so anyone that has a step and loves their solution would be of particular interest as I would be concerned about it really being water tight.

I am considering the BAK FLIP F1, so feedback on that would be great as well.

Thanks!

Osprey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a BakFlip Fibermax (which I think is just a less expensive version of the F1) on my 2013 Ram and was very happy with it. It wasn't totally watertight but only a negligible amount of water ever got in...not even enough to ruin paper grocery bags. The Ram had open stake pockets so that's probably how the small amount of water got in. Since our trucks don't then it may eliminate even the few drops my Ram had.

Installation was so easy that even I could do it and best of all it allowed me to store stuff in the bed and not worry about some fool stealing it. I also installed one on my father's 2013 Platinum F150 and he's also very satisfied. His truck has the tailgate step and there are no issues.

Definitely in my Raptor to-do list.

Last edited:

hagak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like my diamondback. I think it's look fits our trucks great. It also allows you to strap items to the top as well. I so far have seen no water leaks even after washing with a pressure washer.

bubbajr

Reaction score
I have a roll-x and like it. It rolls up to the back window without obstructing the view and allowing most of the bed to be used for large items. As far as water goes, i do have a little water coming in. I also have a bed rug in there so i spreads it out so the bottom of a grocery bag sitting in one of the corners would get wet. I installed it myself so that's probably why. But the install was easy enough. It looks nice in my opinion because it sits flush with the bed rails. I think if you want water proof though you might want something that sits over the bed rails. I just don't Luke the look of that option.

Smokinjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My next purchase will be a diamondback HD that has the black Linex coating on it. Right now I have a FoldaCover and it leaks so bad at every seam, it is only good for keeping stuff in the bed. It lasted less than 18 months before it started leaking. Terrible product.