Height requirement for floor jack - stock Gen II

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LVGH

Reaction score
What is the life height requirement for a floor jack for a stock Gen II? I see a lot of talk about opinions on floor jacks, but I couldn't find numbers for height. Thx

Denvertaco07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will want this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-low-profile-super-duty-rapid-pump-floor-jack-yellow-63183.html

I don't know the numbers off the top of my head, but any standard jack is not going to lift this truck without additional helpers, which may or may not be dangerous. Best to go with one that is high lift. This one will raise just enough to do a tire rotation.

Lifting the rear on the pumpkin, which will be a debate as well, allows for a standard jack to work though, it's the front that is a PITA.

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For at-home use, I have QuickJacks. So great. All 4 wheels off the ground with hydraulic lift. I will say, they are heavy so it isn't quite as easy to get out and setup as it would initially seem.
upload_2021-1-29_9-40-46.png

Sheeepdog18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a Pro Eagle 3 ton floor jack performing any works on the truck and also carry it on my truck when I'm on a trip.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, what is the lifting height needed?

If your buying a jack for your raptor, for your garage and have an air compressor this works great https://www.harborfreight.com/20-ton-air-over-hydraulic-jack-95553.html
The air over option makes the whole thing a breeze. You get plenty of height, and capacity.

I like this - thanks. I could use this on the trails as I carry a C02 tank for airing up. The lift height is 20" - will that be enough? They have a 12-ton jack option that should also work and it's less expensive and its lift height is 19 ⅞":
https://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-air-hydraulic-bottle-jack-94487.html

I assume these have to be carried upright so as not to risk leaking?

I use a Pro Eagle 3 ton floor jack performing any works on the truck and also carry it on my truck when I'm on a trip.

I've always liked their jacks but at around $500 (yes, even for a $70,000 truck) it's too spendy for me as it won't get used very often. There are many other options including this one from Costco (perhaps it needs an extension?) - it's under $200 and weighs about the same (or less):
https://www.costco.com/3-Ton+Profes...And+Steel+Service+Jack.product.100222458.html
And if there are any issues with it at any time it can be easily returned. Sure it doesn't have the big wheels but they're not helpful on concrete anyway.

Last edited:

Sheeepdog18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess if you're not planing any off road trips anytime soon and you're just using it on your driveway, any decent floor jack will work. Just make sure you have some very sturdy jack stands.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You want a jack that can lift approx. 24" and there are many ways to achieve this. You don't want to leave the weight of the truck on the jack though so get some good jack stands. On the trail this is not always possible so use the spare tire to protect yourself.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You will want this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-low-profile-super-duty-rapid-pump-floor-jack-yellow-63183.html

I don't know the numbers off the top of my head, but any standard jack is not going to lift this truck without additional helpers, which may or may not be dangerous. Best to go with one that is high lift. This one will raise just enough to do a tire rotation.

Lifting the rear on the pumpkin, which will be a debate as well, allows for a standard jack to work though, it's the front that is a PITA.

That is what I use....and i use a 2x6 block between the frame and the jack puck to get a little extra height.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I went with the 20ton because I use it in my press as well, makes the jack more useful.

Remember, bottle jacks have a threaded section at the top that will allow you to raise the base height, that one has a 6 1/2" stroke which is plenty if you start with the jack almost touching the lift point. I use a big block under it if I need to droop out the rear suspension.

As far as taking it on the trail, I don't know why you couldn't. It weighs about 35lbs and is essentially a chunk of steel, anything that lethal should be tied down, preferably in a rack. That becomes a real nasty projectile in an accident at 70mph. No reason for it to be on its side.

Last edited: