Metallic epoxy floor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zacc

Reaction score
I spent BIG BUCKS for a metallic epoxy floor and was told it WOULD NOT SCRATCH and would be as tough as it gets. Used a really reputable local company that has been in business for 20 years in this area. My problem, the top clear coat easily scratches with some things.
For example, 5-gallon gas can be full of gas, if you scoot it across the floor with your foot, the sharp plastic edges on the bottom left white scuff marks. Or, my big plastic trash cans, if there's any trash/weight in them and you scoot it across the floor a little bit, it easily leaves scratches in the clear coat.

They already came back once, sanded down the clear coat, and reapplied it, but now it's doing the same thing again. They said they would come back and re-clear it every year if I wanted, but cleaning out my entire 5 car garage is very time-consuming and not fun when I have to get a storage unit to keep all of my cabinets and tool boxes outside for an entire weekend while it cures.

Has anyone else ever ran into this?

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Matt Moreman of ObsessedGarage.com is a recognized garage guru and he did an epoxy floor once and never again. Plastic or porcelain tile is the way to go. That said, my sister had it in a garage in a home she sold and currently has it in her new house and I’ve never seen it scratch nor has she ever complained it has, and take it from me, she’s a complainer.

BaseModelRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had an epoxy floor done in my last home and I'll eventually get it done again. I never had an issues with scratches but then again it wasn't a metallic epoxy if that makes a difference. I don't think it should. Probably has more to do with the process and materials used.

49752633253_ed4c734ffd_o.jpeg