Heater in cold weather

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've owned 3 Gen2 and now Gen3 and my heat and AC have worked like every other vehicle I've owned. I usually keep it on auto and as I turn down the temp, the air gets progressively cooler. If I want it cooler quickly, I will turn it down to Lo.

However, if the vehicle is cold, meaning within the first 10 minutes of running, it will blow hot almost no matter where it's set.
This…exactly this. ^^^

zjgross

Reaction score
Same issue here. Just got a 2023 Raptor 37 and have hot air out of vents constantly. Unless its set on LO or 61/62 degrees it will be coldish/cool. My 2018 did not act this way. Anyone solve this issue?

laramie1pt8t

Reaction score
I live in northern New England for reference. Our yearly low can be well into the negative temperatures and close to or over 100 as a high so we experiences the worst on both ends. For heating, I too notice some very hot air coming out at times when I feel the cabin is up to temp. I always leave mine on Auto. I played around with the settings and settled on 68-69 degrees on Auto medium or low. So far I have had success with this setting but I can certainly relate to your complaint. Hopefully this continues to work. A part of me thought something was messed up because I swapped my HVAC unit for the heated steering button version but it sounds like everyone has experienced this phenomenon.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was finally able to take my truck up to mountains for the first time since taking delivery. Maybe I’m using my AC/heater wrong but once the outside temperature hit the low 30’s my truck would only blow HOT air regardless of what the interior cabin was set, anything between 60-80 degrees was one constant temperature coming out of the vents. The only way to get cold air was to turn it all the way to LOW. Anyone else experiencing this?
So you want to cool already cold air. Think that might cause an ice ball on the AC heat exchanger? I think Ford is try to stop bad things from happening.
So in the summer, you take hot, let’s say 100 deg/f air and cool it to mid 30’s , now your asking it to take 30 deg/f air and make it colder. The system needs heat to flash the refrigerant to vapor to complete the cycle. The whole exchanger floods with liquid refrigerant instead of flashing. That liquid is then sent to a compressor meant to compress vapor.
Solution, just shut off the AC and blow 30deg ambient air into the cab.
Just look up how the system works. If you never get the refrigerant above its flash point it won’t work.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd love to know the answer to how to properly use the AC and Heat in this truck. It makes me feel like an idiot all the time. With the AC I would adjust the temperature knob and then press the auto fan button and the temperature would at least stay very cool inside the truck. Now that it's winter, if I turn the temperature knob to 80 the auto button won't stay lit and it doesn't even turn on the vents. I then have to press the button to turn on the floor and vents but Auto feature doesn't work.

What am I missing?

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Every time you select a vent location or fan speed, you put the system in manual mode. I think that is the cause of your frustration. If you do that, then you have to select and adjust fan speed Or vent and temp or it will remain in the state it was in when you went to manual.
Have it in auto with all three lights on and set the temp you want.it selects the fan speed and vent location .
Or, set your preferred vent location, fan speed and temp in manual

awd5906

Reaction score
Not sure if this helps anyones situation but auto mode when heating only uses the floor and defroster vents. I’m fairly certain the AC compressor will not even operate when under 32 degrees F in auto mode, by design.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OK so now that its getting kinda cold for the winter, I've been playing around with the Climate Controls and of course I've been following the owners manual to see what I am missing before I make a dumb post on FRF lol. Here is some information for you all:

CLIMATE CONTROL HINTS​

General Hints
  • Prolonged use of recirculated air may cause the windows to fog up.
  • You may feel a small amount of air from the footwell air vents regardless of the air distribution setting.
  • To reduce humidity build-up inside your vehicle, do not drive with the system switched off or with recirculated air always switched on.
  • Do not place objects under the front seats as this may interfere with the airflow to the rear seats.
  • Remove any snow, ice or leaves from the air intake area at the base of the windshield.
  • To improve the time to reach a comfortable temperature in hot weather, drive with the windows open until you feel cold air through the air vents.
Automatic Climate Control
  • Adjusting the settings when your vehicle interior is extremely hot or cold is not necessary. Automatic mode is best recommended to maintain set temperature.
  • The system adjusts to heat or cool the interior to the temperature you select as quickly as possible.
  • For the system to function efficiently, the instrument panel and side air vents should be fully open.
  • If you press AUTO during cold outside temperatures, the system directs air flow to the windshield and side window air vents.In addition, the blower motor may run at a slower speed until the engine warms up.
  • If you press AUTO during hot temperatures and the inside of the vehicle is hot, the system uses recirculated air to maximize interior cooling. Blower motor speed may also reduce until the air cools.
Quickly Heating the Interior
  1. Press AUTO.
  1. Adjust the temperature function to the setting you prefer.
Recommended Settings for Heating
  1. Press AUTO.
  1. Adjust the temperature function to the setting you prefer. Use 72 °F (22 °C) as a starting point, then adjust the setting as necessary.
Quickly Cooling the Interior
  1. Press MAX A/C.
  1. Drive with the windows open for a short period of time.
Recommended Settings for Cooling
  1. Press AUTO.
  1. Adjust the temperature function to the setting you prefer. Use 72 °F (22 °C) as a starting point, then adjust the setting as necessary.
Defogging the Side Windows in Cold Weather
  1. Press and release defrost or maximum defrost.
  1. Adjust the temperature control to the setting you prefer. Use 72 °F (22 °C) as a starting point, then adjust the setting as necessary.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OK so now that its getting kinda cold for the winter, I've been playing around with the Climate Controls and of course I've been following the owners manual to see what I am missing before I make a dumb post on FRF lol. Here is some information for you all:

CLIMATE CONTROL HINTS​

General Hints
  • Prolonged use of recirculated air may cause the windows to fog up.
  • You may feel a small amount of air from the footwell air vents regardless of the air distribution setting.
  • To reduce humidity build-up inside your vehicle, do not drive with the system switched off or with recirculated air always switched on.
  • Do not place objects under the front seats as this may interfere with the airflow to the rear seats.
  • Remove any snow, ice or leaves from the air intake area at the base of the windshield.
  • To improve the time to reach a comfortable temperature in hot weather, drive with the windows open until you feel cold air through the air vents.
Automatic Climate Control
  • Adjusting the settings when your vehicle interior is extremely hot or cold is not necessary. Automatic mode is best recommended to maintain set temperature.
  • The system adjusts to heat or cool the interior to the temperature you select as quickly as possible.
  • For the system to function efficiently, the instrument panel and side air vents should be fully open.
  • If you press AUTO during cold outside temperatures, the system directs air flow to the windshield and side window air vents.In addition, the blower motor may run at a slower speed until the engine warms up.
  • If you press AUTO during hot temperatures and the inside of the vehicle is hot, the system uses recirculated air to maximize interior cooling. Blower motor speed may also reduce until the air cools.
Quickly Heating the Interior
  1. Press AUTO.
  2. Adjust the temperature function to the setting you prefer.
Recommended Settings for Heating
  1. Press AUTO.
  2. Adjust the temperature function to the setting you prefer. Use 72 °F (22 °C) as a starting point, then adjust the setting as necessary.
Quickly Cooling the Interior
  1. Press MAX A/C.
  2. Drive with the windows open for a short period of time.
Recommended Settings for Cooling
  1. Press AUTO.
  2. Adjust the temperature function to the setting you prefer. Use 72 °F (22 °C) as a starting point, then adjust the setting as necessary.
Defogging the Side Windows in Cold Weather
  1. Press and release defrost or maximum defrost.
  2. Adjust the temperature control to the setting you prefer. Use 72 °F (22 °C) as a starting point, then adjust the setting as necessary.
For the system to function efficiently, the instrument panel and side air vents should be fully open.
What instrument panel needs open?