Hauling your Raptor behind a MotorHome.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SSWIM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have parked our Jeep on the trailer like you posted. It does not take up anymore room that way. A little inconvenient but still works. Only takes a minute to drive it up on it.

Sam

D37774A5-4BCF-4EBB-B43E-DC2945C66CD8.jpeg

FlaRod

Reaction score
This is a multi-faceted question in some ways, because it is entirely dependent on the camp ground. I would also be curious as to the coach you are looking at buying. First, the majority of the campgrounds maximize their lots on the property, so there generally is not much "extra" room to stow the trailer. Second, most lots are designed for a vehicle plus the "rig". So, in my 15 years of RV'ing, I have never contemplated towing a vehicle on a trailer, only flat towing (dingy) because of those issues. If you decided to use a trailer, you would need to call ahead to everywhere you plan on staying to see if they can support you and there will likely be additional costs, especially at more traveled campgrounds.
RV selection....... We have had all sorts. Class C, Class A Gas, Class A diesel, and then a bus. Towing a heavy vehicle like a raptor with a gas coach is an ultimate nightmare... Going up hills is painful, and going down hill can be dangerous in certain locations because the brakes can overheat and get jumpy. You can aftermarket the exhaust, chip the engines, and you will still hate yourself. So, hopefully you are getting a diesel pusher. The engine brake is heaven downhill and the torque for climbing is awesome.
Best of luck to you, it is great lifestyle and we have thoroughly enjoyed it.
Ahhhhh.... One other note, the new tow setups are much better about actuating the brakes on the tow vehicle than the ones many years ago...... So, over heating your brakes on a gas coach in the summer in Utah or Colorado may not be a problem, but....... Still, diesel will make your life so much better if you can get it in budget...... ALSO, DO NOT FORGET TO GET A PPF APPLIED TO THE FRONT OF YOUR TRUCK......

Last edited:
OP
OP
dmarkh

dmarkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a multi-faceted question in some ways, because it is entirely dependent on the camp ground. I would also be curious as to the coach you are looking at buying. First, the majority of the campgrounds maximize their lots on the property, so there generally is not much "extra" room to stow the trailer. Second, most lots are designed for a vehicle plus the "rig". So, in my 15 years of RV'ing, I have never contemplated towing a vehicle on a trailer, only flat towing (dingy) because of those issues. If you decided to use a trailer, you would need to call ahead to everywhere you plan on staying to see if they can support you and there will likely be additional costs, especially at more traveled campgrounds.
RV selection....... We have had all sorts. Class C, Class A Gas, Class A diesel, and then a bus. Towing a heavy vehicle like a raptor with a gas coach is an ultimate nightmare... Going up hills is painful, and going down hill can be dangerous in certain locations because the brakes can overheat and get jumpy. You can aftermarket the exhaust, chip the engines, and you will still hate yourself. So, hopefully you are getting a diesel pusher. The engine brake is heaven downhill and the torque for climbing is awesome.
Best of luck to you, it is great lifestyle and we have thoroughly enjoyed it.
Ahhhhh.... One other note, the new tow setups are much better about actuating the brakes on the tow vehicle than the ones many years ago...... So, over heating your brakes on a gas coach in the summer in Utah or Colorado may not be a problem, but....... Still, diesel will make your life so much better if you can get it in budget...... ALSO, DO NOT FORGET TO GET A PPF APPLIED TO THE FRONT OF YOUR TRUCK......

It will for sure be a diesel pusher. But it will have to be an older model. Don't think I can afford a new one. Probably pre 2010. 400+ hp, Cummings or Cat. And a 10K lb hitch receiver. What is "A PPF APPLIED TO THE FRONT OF YOUR TRUCK"?

FlaRod

Reaction score
It will for sure be a diesel pusher. But it will have to be an older model. Don't think I can afford a new one. Probably pre 2010. 400+ hp, Cummings or Cat. And a 10K lb hitch receiver. What is "A PPF APPLIED TO THE FRONT OF YOUR TRUCK"?

Awesome.... You will be very happy with that. PPF is basically a protective wrap or clear bra. The front of your truck will take everything the motorhome flap doesn't catch. It seems to me that the Ford paint is rather thin, so I would protect the front of it. You will be amazed how dirty the front of your vehicle will get, especially if you hit rain. Exciting times for you. Have Fun!!

OP
OP
dmarkh

dmarkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome.... You will be very happy with that. PPF is basically a protective wrap or clear bra. The front of your truck will take everything the motorhome flap doesn't catch. It seems to me that the Ford paint is rather thin, so I would protect the front of it. You will be amazed how dirty the front of your vehicle will get, especially if you hit rain. Exciting times for you. Have Fun!!

Thanks. Still in the planning phase. Got a couple of years yet before I actually do what I am going to do.

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As others have said there are two sides to this. I have trailered and flat towed. I no longer use a trailer. The downsides for me were, one it adds weight, and weight will make it tougher to climb hills, and cut your mileage a little. A trailer heavy enough for the Raptor is heavy. You can use an aluminum one, but they are expensive. Two it is a hassle. If you can get a campground spot with enough room it will be a pull through which will cost extra every night. If they don't have a spot for the trailer on your site, you will have to pay for "storage". Also the hassle is if you need to put it in "storage" you will have to unload the Raptor, then disconnect the trailer, move the MH and then connect the trailer to the Raptor and move it to storage. When you leave you will have to reverse the procedure. If you are going to move around a lot vs just staying in on campground for a long while, it is a hassle and adds time to your leaving and arriving. And while you are "saving" the tires on the Raptor (about the only thing that will "wear and tear" flat towing it, you will need to replace trailer tires, and service bearings, brakes and deal with depreciation on a trailer. Unless you are rich and want an enclosed trailer to keep the truck clean, you really will be better off flat towing the Raptor.

For me, the only downside of flat towing is the extra cost of a braking system for the truck. If you are getting a diesel pusher, the best system is the Air Force One, and the diode kit for the brake lights.

SSWIM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As others have said there are two sides to this. I have trailered and flat towed. I no longer use a trailer. The downsides for me were, one it adds weight, and weight will make it tougher to climb hills, and cut your mileage a little. A trailer heavy enough for the Raptor is heavy. You can use an aluminum one, but they are expensive. Two it is a hassle. If you can get a campground spot with enough room it will be a pull through which will cost extra every night. If they don't have a spot for the trailer on your site, you will have to pay for "storage". Also the hassle is if you need to put it in "storage" you will have to unload the Raptor, then disconnect the trailer, move the MH and then connect the trailer to the Raptor and move it to storage. When you leave you will have to reverse the procedure. If you are going to move around a lot vs just staying in on campground for a long while, it is a hassle and adds time to your leaving and arriving. And while you are "saving" the tires on the Raptor (about the only thing that will "wear and tear" flat towing it, you will need to replace trailer tires, and service bearings, brakes and deal with depreciation on a trailer. Unless you are rich and want an enclosed trailer to keep the truck clean, you really will be better off flat towing the Raptor.

For me, the only downside of flat towing is the extra cost of a braking system for the truck. If you are getting a diesel pusher, the best system is the Air Force One, and the diode kit for the brake lights.

All very good points. Agree 100%. I trailer our JK due to the 42" stickies. Really don't like wearing them out on pavement. And boy do they wear out quick.

That said, he is pulling the Raptor. So flat towing would be the way to go.

Sam

OP
OP
dmarkh

dmarkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks for that input. I was just thinking that if the site had room for a vehicle, it would have room for a vehicle parked on the trailer. But I guess certain non pull through sites you would only be able to back a trailer into the "vehicle" spot. In that case you probably can't park the Raptor on the trailer because you can't get to the back of it. I didn't know pull through sites costs more. There is a lot I don't know. As far as weight of the trailer, yes they are heavy and the aluminum ones are crazy expensive. I think a 400+ hp diesel pusher will handle it. A lot to think about.

.[/QUOTE]For me, the only downside of flat towing is the extra cost of a braking system for the truck. If you are getting a diesel pusher, the best system is the Air Force One, and the diode kit for the brake lights.[/QUOTE]

The other down side for me in addition to what you mention above is having to tear apart the front end (tow hooks) of the Raptor to install the towing hardware. I loose the use of those tow hooks and it does change the looks of the front end. I know, it can all be put back to normal once the trip is over.

Thanks, there is a lot to think about.