Hard shifts between 3-4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Navigator55

Reaction score
When I took mine in for cam phaser software update, they updated the TCM at the same time. This was on a ‘19 and I wasn’t having any shift issues.

kickingaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I notice on my '17 that it was skipping gears when slowing to a stop and downshifting and just going to 1st. I didn't want to get into expensive transmission repairs so I traded it.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yea, I hear you. But I supposed I could give the dealership a run first, then mess with forscan myself if it goes south.

Correct me if I'm idiot, but if they do determine that it's a software issue, would that mean getting a custom tune should fix the issue. Sounds like a good excuse to me.

I bought mine used as well, but pretty darn sure there was no tune on it. Previous owner basically drove it less than 2k in 2 years. No real mods to speak of, that I could see. Besides, I did have the cam phaser software fix/update done on it last fall, which I think would have wiped out any tune...or they would have told me it was tuned.
Plenty of people have just tuned to get the transmission shifting like it should have. Harsh shifts are all too common in these trucks and so are some mushy 3-4 shifts. Besides there are times when you hit the accelerator the trans just doesn’t shift like you thought it should to the right gear or hold it or shift again like it should. There is some good TCM tuning out there as I have heard.

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very common. Mine did it for a long time and I took it to dealer. They reprogrammed TCM shift tables. It eventually came back. Then I got my cam phasers done and got the ECM reprogram that came with it, and that fixed the problem. IDK. I'm just reporting my experience.

Gen2Boost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I imagine I'll probably need to take it in to the dealership for this, but thought I would bring up here for anyone's thoughts.

I've started to notice that the truck seems to shift a bit harder between 3rd and 4th gear. Happens for both upshift and downshift, and doesn't happen at higher gears. If it's skipping gears, it's smooth. Doesn't happen every time, but does seem to be a bit more often and noticeable lately...but that could because I'm now looking for it more now.

It's a 2017 with a little over 40k miles on it. Haven't checked the transmission fluid, but see if I can do that over the weekend. Had the breaks done recently, but issue started happening before then.
My 2019 does the same but only after a cold start. Every morning without fail when I head out (normal drive mode) if I gradually accelerate she will hold 3rd and then lunge into 4th. However if I get on it right away and push her she will shift without issue.

Gen2Boost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a TSB issued in I think 2020 for a TCM update because of harsh shifting between 3-4 or 3-4-5, mine had it.
When I had mine in the dealer for a mirror replace under warranty I had them do the TCM update and it fixed the shifting. I will look up the TSB.
My 2019 is going in tomorrow for a laundry list of warranty work, including the TCM update from the TSB (attached).

Attachments

• 44648911-0599-4A55-84C6-CEB9F11C4642.png
    44648911-0599-4A55-84C6-CEB9F11C4642.png
    436.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 7C3D86FA-57D0-4F6E-9C87-1670E55E5A61.png
    7C3D86FA-57D0-4F6E-9C87-1670E55E5A61.png
    558.7 KB · Views: 26

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Make sure that you
1) complain about the shifting
2) advise of the TSB
3) complain about the shifting AGAIN and tell them you want the TCM UPDATED, not just scanned.

this is important, because they will only actually update IF there is an on point customer complaint. IF the complaint is not on point to the TSB, they will scan, validate the current TCM code is not “faulty” and report NPF, TCM code current. Current is /= ‘most current’ or corrected.

I had to go through this 2 or 3 visits with my dealer in VA. Final visit the S/A called and told me “if you don’t actually complain about it, we can’t just upload a new programming.” Oh, ok, so that weird shifting I mentioned earlier, yes, it definite is shifting very hesitantly. would you please address that concern AND update the TCM programming? “Sure, we can do that”.

I don’t know all the ins and outs, but just be sure to make an on point complaint to the S/A.

Gen2Boost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure that you
1) complain about the shifting
2) advise of the TSB
3) complain about the shifting AGAIN and tell them you want the TCM UPDATED, not just scanned.

this is important, because they will only actually update IF there is an on point customer complaint. IF the complaint is not on point to the TSB, they will scan, validate the current TCM code is not “faulty” and report NPF, TCM code current. Current is /= ‘most current’ or corrected.

I had to go through this 2 or 3 visits with my dealer in VA. Final visit the S/A called and told me “if you don’t actually complain about it, we can’t just upload a new programming.” Oh, ok, so that weird shifting I mentioned earlier, yes, it definite is shifting very hesitantly. would you please address that concern AND update the TCM programming? “Sure, we can do that”.

I don’t know all the ins and outs, but just be sure to make an on point complaint to the S/A.
Will do. Keep you posted on how that goes. Appreciate the heads up. Heading in with 2 other warranty TSB’s at 52k miles and they can go eat a bag of dcks along with their shenanigans. I get it. Everyone is out to make their dollar. I gave them $80k of mine two years ago and every time I go in for warranty related work it’s the same old song and dance until I tell them I’ll just call Ford and then suddenly they place the parts under warranty order.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter