Had some new Progressive rate Spring made

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXRPTOR37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly.

VG, No alignment was done. Didn't really see the need considering what was done. I might have it checked next week? I don't think that is what's delivering the feedback into the steering wheel. I'm going out today to play in the mud from the deluge we got last night. Plenty of rough trails to get busy on up here for sure. Will follow up.

Take some pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Exactly.

VG, No alignment was done. Didn't really see the need considering what was done. I might have it checked next week?

I'd have it checked. I went to mid-perch almost immediately after purchasing my 2014 and drove it for about 100 miles before having it aligned. Even after just that little bit of driving, I could tell the edges of the essentially new front tire treads were feathering and wearing unevenly. With that said, I didn't notice any difference in the feel of the steering wheel before it was aligned.

1stSFG

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OK. Back with more of MY impressions.

I was out mixing on and off road driving yesterday for a few hours. After having enough time to process everything, I came to this conclusion. The OE springs are shorter and pretty damn burly thick coils. The GB's are not as thick. So I'm assuming at low speeds getting into the initial spring progression it's softer than the OE spring causing more feedback. I got into some higher speed off road "junk" and that's where these springs love to live. No comparison to the OE's up there.
I will without a doubt be able to get a much greater feel when I replace the leafs. The ass end at speed really dirties up a great deal of ride quality.
I concede that keeping an eye on the alignment spec's is a good thing. Alignment scheduled for Thursday AM. Will post what the spec's were going in and coming out.

For the person asking for photo's, dude try reading something more than the last post.

:fish_h4h:

Last edited:

TXRPTOR37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the person asking for photo's, dude try reading something more than the last post.

:fish_h4h:

Had I only read and quoted the last post I wouldn't have quoted yours.

I was talking about pictures when you were on the trail which is why I quoted your post referencing that, dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1stSFG

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh my, looks like I misinterpreted. Excusem wa.
To busy driving to snap shots. We've all seen muddy trucks before. I think?

1stSFG

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just to pass along some more information.
I went to the shop today to have the alignment checked and indeed the toe was out of spec. Took care of that, and really didn't notice any changes one way or another on the way home. Still gives me more feedback in the steering wheel than I'd like in low speed bumps on and off road and some "pogo" like "slides" with speed cornering bumps. Those are the worst by far. The "pogo" effect is nothing like the OE springs are.

Tornitron

Reaction score
I got about 3/4 of the way into installing these today. I am going from mid-perch with stock springs to bottom perch with the progressive springs. Unfortunately, the set screw for the spring collar stripped on the last strut. Does anyone know any easy way to get it out?
I'll post up my impressions after I finish.

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You could try a easy out. They make them reverse thread that may fit right in the stripped hole. Or you can drill the screw, then use a easy out of the correct size. Also we sometimes use a torx style bit, we use a size just a little bit bigger than the hole. Tap it in with a hammer, then turn it out with a socket or wrench. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Tornitron

Reaction score
I wound up just drilling out the screw. Whoever decided it was a good idea to use such a small screw for this application needs to get knocked out.

With the new springs on the bottom perch setting, my truck currently sits at approximately 41.5 inches (ground to center of fender) with a full tank of gas. This puts it 1/4" higher than mid-perch.

The ride is greatly improved over mid-perch. The "pogo" effect that many people encounter with the stock springs at that setting is largely gone with the new progressive springs. The ride quality is quite similar to the factory springs at bottom perch, but due to the new ones being progressive, they handle bumps in a much more dampened and controlled manner.
There is a bit more roll and dive than with stocks springs at mid-perch, but definitely not as pronounced as the truck had stock.
Overall, this was a very worthwhile upgrade. The stock springs at mid-perch to me always felt too stiff when compared with the rear. It gave the truck a bit of an unbalanced feeling. The progressive springs correct this issue, and the truck now feels properly sorted.
I would strongly recommend people NOT to do mid-perch and just install these progressive springs instead. They are the superior option by far.