Grease flyin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mil T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone else has had this problem.
Grease on top of lower control arm just below front left axle cv boot. I cannot see grease coming out of CV boot on axle.
And grease flying out of the front drive shaft front connection to axle. See photos below.
Question on the drive shaft .Shouldn't there be a cv boot at this location? Mine does not look like there ever was which is why the grease is flying.
2010, 5.4 with 35K miles. Taking it to Ford tomorrow but wondering what your thoughts are here.

0718021726.jpg

0718021727b.jpg

Badrap

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Unless you're cooking bacon down there that ain't right. Never seen that amount of grease from one. Usually the leakers are kinda like the consistency of oil.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Looks like a bad CV boot to me.
And grease flying out of the front drive shaft front connection to axle. See photos below.
Question on the drive shaft .Shouldn't there be a cv boot at this location? Mine does not look like there ever was which is why the grease is flying.
Your pic shows the front driveshaft (from T-case to front diff). Most trucks (Raptors included) do NOT have a boot on the driveshaft. Also, the front diff uses gear oil, so there should not be grease at this location. When a CV lets go, it can sling grease everywhere, including places you are not expecting.

OP
OP
M

Mil T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fords going to order and replace under warranty.

I looked at the parts involved. The front drive shaft goes into a cv joint that is bolted to a pinion shaft coming from the Diff. There are no u-joints involved. This design is much stronger than old u-joint design. What happened was the boot and cap that slips on to the drive shaft must have spit the boot out some how. It is one unit by design. The rubber boot came out of the cap and caused the grease to fly. Not sure where how the boot got off the shaft though. I believe what they have to do is replace the front drive shaft CV assembly because it's a kit. CV joint with Cap and boot, bolts that fasten the CV on to the Pinion Shaft, locktite, and grease in a bag for the new CV. Approx $200 kit.
I might suggest those that have not looked to do so to see if the boot on yours has somehow come out and is throwing grease.You can't see it if you don't get under there and look.
Front axle boot has small hole that is throwing the grease out.
Just thought you'd like to know what the deal is with the front drive shaft and why the grease was coming out so much.

OP
OP
M

Mil T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford replaced the entire drive shaft assembly. It appears that it never had all the parts installed from the factory. The boot portion was missing. So new cv's, drive shaft and hardware.
Everyone might want to look under their trucks to make sure all the parts are in place and that they didn't do the same lame brain mistake they did to my truck. I can't believe that no one noticed before I got the truck at 28K miles. The previous owner must never have put the truck in 4 wheel drive.
Mil T