GPS error due to 37" tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badmonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the TPMS sensors are re calibrated and the nab is still messed up. Mine always shows me east and south of my correct position. Every so often, it centers me on the road. This only occurs during route guidance. Time to see if my dealer has any answers. This doesn't seem to be isolated to tire size. Mine are only 1/2 " or so bigger than stock. I wouldn't think that would be enough to cause the large error after only a few miles.

factive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hardly use my nav but the other day I turned it on while driving on the highway. It showed me driving about 2 miles to the side of where I actually was. I just wrote it off and never considered the 37s as the issue until I read this thread. It's worked perfectly the few times I used it with my stockers on.

OP
OP
tec548

tec548

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I honestly don't know how hard they tried to fix it (re-program). I have been out of town for a week and it was dropped off to them. With that being said... the truck was basically untouched. Very dissappointed in this dealership to say the least.

I don't know what years are affected with this problem but I think it would be safe to assume 11' to 14' are affected.

Does anyone know if any of the tuners out there can reprogram the speedo by going through the SCT? I am pretty sure that it can be done, but does anyone know for sure that someone has accually done this?

Orionkhan

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly don't know how hard they tried to fix it (re-program). I have been out of town for a week and it was dropped off to them. With that being said... the truck was basically untouched. Very dissappointed in this dealership to say the least.

I don't know what years are affected with this problem but I think it would be safe to assume 11' to 14' are affected.

Does anyone know if any of the tuners out there can reprogram the speedo by going through the SCT? I am pretty sure that it can be done, but does anyone know for sure that someone has accually done this?

I wanna say that Bigg50 used a tuner to calibrate his speedo. I think I read that somewhere on the forum. He's on Falken Wildpeak 37s. He's not reporting having the problem. That's why I lean towards the idea of recalibrating the speedo as to fixing the issue. Maybe he'll chime in it.

badmonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is a 2014, with 35" tires. I changed the wheels and tires and ordered new TPMS sensors. My TPMS sensors are made by Oro-Tek. I'm wondering if the changing of TPMS sensors has anything to do with this. Did anyone use the stock TPMS sensors and still see this problem? It seems the common thread is changing the wheels and tires and not just to 37".

ALDABRAMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is a 2014, with 35" tires. I changed the wheels and tires and ordered new TPMS sensors. My TPMS sensors are made by Oro-Tek. I'm wondering if the changing of TPMS sensors has anything to do with this. Did anyone use the stock TPMS sensors and still see this problem? It seems the common thread is changing the wheels and tires and not just to 37".

* That is interesting, I had 37" Nitto's on my 2012 and had no issues with OEM sensors! Great observation, may be the factor!

jackrook

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine is a 2013. All that needs to be done is to reload the nav unit. The dealer did it for me. Although it was a hassle. Took me 3 months and two dealers

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Orionkhan

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I just had 37" Falken Wildpeaks installed. Used the stock TPMS sensors.

Took the rig out for a spin this evening. Looks like the Nav is running behind as has been reported by others. Kinda funny. If it wasn't for this thread, I probably would have gone weeks before I had noticed because I don't use the Nav that often. I'll probably go with having the speedo calibrated first to see if that corrects.

Last edited:

Orionkhan

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. Did some research on some other F150 forums. Turns out this isn't a Raptor specific issue. It's a Ford issue. Pretty common. The fix I found that worked for a lot of people was to disconnect the negative cable to the battery for a couple of hours. I tried that this afternoon. It worked. My Nav tracks flawlessly now. Nobody really knows why this works. My guess is that the nav will recalibrate itself (ping satellites) with the vehicle sensors after being disconnected from power. That's just my guess. We'll see how long it works.

I'm still going to get a 5Star tune and reset the speedo. But not because the Nav is tracking off course. I strongly suggest anyone having this issue with the Nav to try this method. It's cheap and easy.

Last edited: