GEN 2 Glove box scratches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsgouwens

Reaction score
I recently allowed a friend to bring a backpack in the front seat of my new truck. Something on his backpack scratched the glove box door. I tried just buffing it out with my thumb, but it's not coming off. Any suggestions?

Hagasan41

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently allowed a friend to bring a backpack in the front seat of my new truck. Something on his backpack scratched the glove box door. I tried just buffing it out with my thumb, but it's not coming off. Any suggestions?

Use a heat gun or even a hair dryer. It will remove the scratch if done correctly. Just be sure to maintain a safe distance from the area you're working on to prevent damage including uneven texture and gloss.

ron.bumpus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes becareful with heatgun
I just burned my dash on a 3 week old screw (trying to remove scratch) and now have a quarter size flat spot with no texture. Worse than the scratch!!!!! Very unhappy now

Snapper

Reaction score
People who sit in the passenger seat like to cross their legs...and inevitably end up scratching the glove box with their shoes. I'm thinking about putting some kind of vinyl film over that area to help keep it from getting too banged up.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Use a heat gun or even a hair dryer. It will remove the scratch if done correctly. Just be sure to maintain a safe distance from the area you're working on to prevent damage including uneven texture and gloss.

Got a real nasty gash in mine, used a heatgun carefully on it, and while it was noticeably better, the heat was sufficient to change the refraction characteristics, making the whole area visible under light. Basically, it made the box look better under most conditions, but more noticeable under bright light.

I ended up getting a new one for about $275 (shipping included) from Tasca. The lock comes out really easy (I made a video here) so you don't have to worry about that.

Notably, the heatgun doesn't really affect the door plastic at all, positively or otherwise. Unfortunately, plastic scratches are pretty much permanent, as buffing them out (like you would do with paint) removes material, causing different refraction in the abraded area, making it more noticeable generally. Some recommend using a Magic Eraser, but I've found that causes a dull spot everywhere it makes contact (since, after all, it is basically sandpaper).

amg55driver

Reaction score
If its not too bad, try using interior cleaner / dresser (not too shiny ones, but a good protector will work). I bought my truck used and had some scratches on glove box lid as well as door panel, this did the trick. Holding up 2 months just fine. (303 (30305) Aerospace Protectant Trigger Sprayer)

pigwet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wrap large plastic parts with 3M air release carbon fiber wrap. Cheap and installs easily. Wont fix you issue but could prevent it again. Search amazon.