Gett'n loose?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OUTCAST

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife and I are on our way to the local cantina for diner and a few top shelf margritas the other night when I pull up to the red light. Next to me is a kid in a new Ford F-150 Crew and, of course, he stomps on it with the green light. Now I, once a Boy Scout, had already pushed tow mode and traction control buttons, and I too mashed down on the gas. First thing that happened was, my wife saying, "Oh, God...", as in " will I ever grow up?", not because she was enjoying it as much as I was! (Ain't the first time! LMAO Thats funny! I don't care who you are!):mrgreen:. Anyhow, The Rap leaped and over took it's younger rival and to my suprise seemed to run a lot harder than before! The first thing that comes out of my wives mouth is, "WHAT did you BUY this time!?, you chipped it didn't you?!" So I had to fight to prove that I had done no such thing that it must have been the 98 degree temp, the fact that I have just gone over 12500 miles or just switched to Mobil One full syn. Which none of this worked, but I've noticed that it has been a little peppy'r as of late, just can't put my finger on why.

So guys, help me out here, I am standing faultsly accused of spending money on "things that can wait" as we're in the middle of moving the OUTCAST Estate to, not so much bigger, but better digs.

Is it the weather, oil, or is the motor just getting into it's prime? Also, I've had a trailer hooked for about the last 3 weeks (Computer sending something out?) I haven't had time to add any toys to the Rap, I've been packin, paint'n, repairing and somemore stuff! Not to mention babysitting a batch of baby English Bull Terriers that got hatched last week!

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Funny stuff!

Perhaps it's nothing more than your wife not being used to sudden acceleration :) Maybe you need to stomp the Go Pedal with her more often :mrgreen:

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've experienced the same thing even without pressing tow/haul or traction control. My 5.4 seems to have "woken up" when I hit around 12,500 miles a few weeks ago. I have to be careful about spinning the tires especially on E85... I actually had the truck go sideways on me the other day at work... on pavement... when I got on it a little making a 90 degree right turn at about 5 or 10 mph.

I thought maybe I was imagining the extra power... so it's interesting that someone else noticed the same thing.

I've heard that some manufacturers have "detuned" the programming until a certain mileage is reached. (On the FJ Cruiser people were saying it happened at 10k but I never noticed it) I always thought that was just a rumor but I guess it could be true?

P.S. I like that the "nannies" don't kick in immediately on the Raptor.

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the factory tune waking up is a myth. I know that my truck pulls harder now than it did new (4k miles). Every vehicle I have owned has been like that though, even the ones with crabs and no computer.

RIKU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happend to mine as well... I replaced all my fluid's with Royal Purple at 3500 miles. The day I picked it up the truck felt smooth and faster.

AuPanda

Reaction score
I gotta believe it must be related to the transmission in tow mode must be more aggressive. I know our BMW will start in 2nd unless I have it in sport mode from a dead stop; the difference in the BMW is night and day...also feels like I have a peppier engine.